Mt. Washington - Looking for where this lake photo was taken

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Naturebat

Mt. Washington - Looking for where this lake photo was taken

Post by Naturebat » April 9th, 2018, 7:30 pm

(Source)

Does anyone have any idea where this photograph was taken from? Seems like the photo was taken in 2010, so wondering if it burned since then? All I know is that it was taken from the north side, based on the mountain's profile. I think I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5 lakes and ponds, but can't figure out which one it is, exactly.

CalTopo Link with the Locations
These are my best guesses. The large lake is in a burn area; and the other smaller ponds seem to have not been burned.
- Previously ElementalFX

adamschneider

Re: Mt. Washington - Looking for where this lake photo was t

Post by adamschneider » April 9th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I'd immediately eliminate the two westernmost guesses; the angle isn't right. The easternmost one seems about right, but that's a funny little body of water. It looks to me like the photo was taken with a substantial zoom, so I'd look for a bigger lake. How about Hortense Lake, a mile further out? (The only problem there is that Hortense hasn't been surrounded by healthy trees since about 2002.) Or Meadow Lake, another mile beyond that to the north?

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » April 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm

The photographer talks about the photo a little bit here:

http://mikeputnamphoto.com/oregons-mt-w ... hotograph/

buuuut I get the feeling that he's purposefully leaving out the location. Maybe not. Matching up the angle in Earth:

https://streamable.com/9awk3

gives a heading of about 17.5 degrees E of N:

https://i.imgur.com/tw9h7YG.png

Meadow Lake does fall right on this line. If a long lens was used, it could compress the treeless area on the S side of the lake and make it look like it's not really there. Meadow Lake is my guess, anyway. :)

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » April 13th, 2018, 9:27 am

Thank you both! Maybe this summer I'll hike to Meadow Lake and might be able to confirm it; really does seem like the correct location. I think you found it! For some reason, I didn't even notice that it was taken with a telephoto lens, but I see it now. Mt. Washington looks so beautiful in that composition.
- Previously ElementalFX

aiwetir

Re: Mt. Washington - Looking for where this lake photo was taken

Post by aiwetir » April 13th, 2018, 9:13 pm

I think it's Meadow Lake too. The short trees in the foreground match the shorter trees in the swampy area along the south side of Meadow Lake. The rest of the lakes around there go straight into full sized trees. The characteristics of the larger trees on the south side of Meadow are unlike the other lakes too. I think that given enough time and resources one could match up each tree in the photo with one on an aerial photo. I would also say that the lighter trees under the little peak on the left of Mt. Wash are the clump of trees that stick out into the swamp.

Having not been there myself, it looks like a pretty long lens also.
- Michael