Burroughs Mountain Hike at Mount Rainier

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tbritt2112

Burroughs Mountain Hike at Mount Rainier

Post by tbritt2112 » April 7th, 2018, 4:55 am

Hello from North Carolina. I will be in the PNW in August and am looking to hike the Burroughs Mountain Trail at Mount Rainier. We hope to make it out to Burroughs 3. Any tips/advice for this hike? Hoping the snow will be melted enough by then. I believe I read its about an 8 mile RT hike.

We hiked the Skyline Trail at MR last year and the Boundary Trail at MSH. We did the Devils Elbow section and that was fun.

adamschneider

Re: Burroughs Mountain Hike at Mount Rainier

Post by adamschneider » April 7th, 2018, 9:51 am

tbritt2112 wrote:Hello from North Carolina. I will be in the PNW in August and am looking to hike the Burroughs Mountain Trail at Mount Rainier. We hope to make it out to Burroughs 3. Any tips/advice for this hike? Hoping the snow will be melted enough by then. I believe I read its about an 8 mile RT hike.

We hiked the Skyline Trail at MR last year and the Boundary Trail at MSH. We did the Devils Elbow section and that was fun.
Snow-wise, it should be fine by August. The Sunrise area actually loses its snow earlier than neighboring areas with lower elevation, because it's all exposed to the sun.

Third Burroughs is about 9 miles round-trip, with around 2000' of elevation gain on the way there and another 600' or so on the way back. There are ways you can make a partial loop out of it; at the very least, turn left toward Frozen Lake on your way back and take the Sourdough Ridge Trail back east toward the parking lot. You could also incorporate the Emmons Glacier Overlook on the south side of the ridge. [map]
Last edited by adamschneider on April 7th, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » April 7th, 2018, 12:19 pm

You can also add in Fremont Lookout, doesn't add much more mileage.

I'd gone up to First and Second several times before I finally continued on to Third, not sure why I didn't do it earlier. It was partially cloudy, on a clear day Third Burroughs would give you a commanding view of the Winthrop Glacier.

You can do a complete loop. Via Frozen Lake one way and Shadow Lake going the other direction.

I'd advise arriving early. Parking lots at Sunrise and Paradise can and do fill to capacity on nice summer weekends.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 7th, 2018, 12:49 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:You can do a complete loop. Via Frozen Lake one way and Shadow Lake going the other direction.
How could you do a complete loop? Isn't it always going to be an out-and-back from 1st Burroughs to 3rd Burroughs?

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » April 7th, 2018, 1:41 pm

adamschneider wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:You can do a complete loop. Via Frozen Lake one way and Shadow Lake going the other direction.
How could you do a complete loop? Isn't it always going to be an out-and-back from 1st Burroughs to 3rd Burroughs?
Okay, caught me on a technicality. A loop w/ a side trip that is out and back.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 7th, 2018, 2:14 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:Okay, caught me on a technicality. A loop w/ a side trip that is out and back.
I don't know if there's a technical term for routes like that, but I call them "reverse lollipops."

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » April 7th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Reverse lollipop, I like it. That works.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm

adamschneider wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:Okay, caught me on a technicality. A loop w/ a side trip that is out and back.
I don't know if there's a technical term for routes like that, but I call them "reverse lollipops."
Same here :mrgreen:

tbritt2112

Post by tbritt2112 » April 7th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. Is the trail clearly marked out and back? The map looks pretty straightforward. On our way back, there will be a sign pointing towards Frozen Lake? And to Sunrise parking lot?

Any concerns as far as wildlife along that trail? I know you have black bear in the park. How about cougar? I read that a mountain goat killed a hiker in Olympic National Park?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 7th, 2018, 8:05 pm

tbritt2112 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Is the trail clearly marked out and back? The map looks pretty straightforward. On our way back, there will be a sign pointing towards Frozen Lake? And to Sunrise parking lot?
There are signs at most of the major intersections, and even if you got off the trail, you'd be able to see where to go. Trail maps should be available at the Sunrise visitor center. When all else fails, use your phone as a GPS.
tbritt2112 wrote:Any concerns as far as wildlife along that trail? I know you have black bear in the park. How about cougar? I read that a mountain goat killed a hiker in Olympic National Park?
Black bears are chickens. Cougars are very rare and don't like open areas anyway. And the mountain goats at Rainier are much more skittish than the ones in the Olympics... you might see some if you're lucky, but they won't let you get close. The greatest danger you face from wildlife is that well-fed ground squirrels will get into your pack if you leave it unattended.