Wildflowers on Dog Mountain? Other Gorge suggestions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
loven329

Wildflowers on Dog Mountain? Other Gorge suggestions?

Post by loven329 » April 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Curious if anyone has been up recently and if the wildflowers are out? I always like to visit when the top of the mountain is in bloom. part 2: What are some of your favorite hikes in the gorge? I think I've done all the main/popular ones. Cape horn, Oneota, angels rest, table mountain (I think its been a while..), eagle creek.

I'm forgetting the name of one, I think its off the eagle creek trailhead (or the parking lot at least) and the its kinda a mad scramble up to the top, short but steep.

Any good hikes in the gorge that I'm missing?

Cheers :D

retired jerry

Re: Wildflowers on Dog Mountain? Other Gorge suggestions?

Post by retired jerry » April 6th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Peak near Eagle Creek trailhead is probably Buck Point. Go to campground. The trail goes from campsite #10. About a mile.

Of course, most of Oregon side gorge trails are still closed from last summer's fire.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 6th, 2018, 3:30 pm

loven329 wrote:Curious if anyone has been up recently and if the wildflowers are out? I always like to visit when the top of the mountain is in bloom. part 2: What are some of your favorite hikes in the gorge? I think I've done all the main/popular ones. Cape horn, Oneota, angels rest, table mountain (I think its been a while..), eagle creek.

I'm forgetting the name of one, I think its off the eagle creek trailhead (or the parking lot at least) and the its kinda a mad scramble up to the top, short but steep.

Any good hikes in the gorge that I'm missing?

Cheers :D
The showiest flowers, the balsam root, haven't even started pushing up but I saw five different types of smaller flowers today on Dog Mt. I suppose I'll post a TR later with a few pics.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

There are many trails closed on the Oregon side. Information about open trails is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26121

A nice spring hike in the Gorge that is open is Mosier Plateau. Lots of those nice showy balsamroot that you see on Dog Mountain.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » April 25th, 2018, 6:55 am

Hiked Dog yesterday, Tuesday 4/25/18. A few balsam root flowers were blooming near the first viewpoint. But from the next viewpoint to the summit, not any sign of a bloom. I think even with the warm weather they are 1-2 weeks off. Probably half the people I saw coming up on my way down asked if the flowers were blooming. I just replied no for balsam root, but lots of other flowers and a great view from the top. The hard to find Chocolate Lilies are at the end of thei bloom....
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir