Seeking: a trail where I will unlikely run into anyone.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
revolutionflag

Seeking: a trail where I will unlikely run into anyone.

Post by revolutionflag » April 3rd, 2018, 4:32 pm

Hey folks, I'd like to find an off beaten path within a 2 hour drive of Portland. I'd like to just be able to drive somewhere and hike for a while without running into anyone for a while. I'm not from Oregon so I'm going to goolgemap and will need directions to wherever I decide to go. p.s. Are wild animals a concern? Thanks ~ Appreciate your responses.

adamschneider

Re: Seeking: a trail where I will unlikely run into anyone.

Post by adamschneider » April 3rd, 2018, 5:05 pm

The only wild animals you need to worry about in Oregon are (1) ticks, and (2) rattlesnakes; both of which you are much more likely to find on the east side of the Cascades. The good news is that (1) our ticks rarely carry Lyme disease, and (2) the rattlesnakes want absolutely nothing to do with you.

In the west-side forests, the worst that might happen is that you step on a banana slug.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 3rd, 2018, 6:47 pm

When are you planning to be in the Portland area and doing this hike?

I ask this because April 1 is traditionally considered as the date where the mountain snowpack is highest, which also means the date when the most trails over 2500 ft of elevation are snow-covered. This year your time frame is especially critical, because roughly 75% to 80% of the locally most-hiked lower-elevation trails are closed due to damage from a 45,000 acre wildfire in the Columbia River Gorge last September. This one fact will relocate most of the local hikers onto a much more limited set of trails, rendering some of the lesser-used trails much more crowded than they would normally be in April.

If you are planning to come in July, then that is a whole 'nother matter and far more options for solitude will be available to you.

romann

Post by romann » April 3rd, 2018, 10:22 pm

There's lots of gated forest roads where you can find a perfectly quiet hike. Not many quiet trails, as said above, due to a) snow, b) the fact that most popular hiking area in Columbia Gorge on Oregon's side is closed. If you're seeking a quiet trail and don't want to go in snow, your best bet are trails with access from East side of the Cascades - like east side of Badger Creek Wilderness. There will be some people, but far less than close to town.

revolutionflag

Post by revolutionflag » April 3rd, 2018, 11:53 pm

It's good you mentioned snow, because I forgot to mention I am perfectly okay with snow. As long as it's not crowded. I am looking to do this trail this week (Thursday).

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 4th, 2018, 5:34 am

thursday? lots of rain, bring rain jacket. Wherever you go won't be busy.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 4th, 2018, 10:41 am

revolutionflag wrote:It's good you mentioned snow, because I forgot to mention I am perfectly okay with snow. As long as it's not crowded. I am looking to do this trail this week (Thursday).
Park at White River East Sno-Park and snowshoe south on Road 48 for as many miles as you can stomach. It's a rainy weekday, so I doubt even snomachine people would be there.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/ ... ecid=53330

Good luck!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 4th, 2018, 12:03 pm

drm

Post by drm » April 5th, 2018, 6:35 am

Hiking on a weekday in the pouring rain is a good way to avoid crowds! Just about any trail will do.

chrisca

Post by chrisca » April 11th, 2018, 12:18 am

revolutionflag wrote:Hey folks, I'd like to find an off beaten path within a 2 hour drive of Portland. I'd like to just be able to drive somewhere and hike for a while without running into anyone for a while. I'm not from Oregon so I'm going to goolgemap and will need directions to wherever I decide to go. p.s. Are wild animals a concern? Thanks ~ Appreciate your responses.
Most of us would never share online a quiet trail destination. That's a recipe for drawing crowds to a sacred place. Some advice:

Stop in at a ranger station and ask the staff for suggestions. They will be happy to give some.
Buy a Forest Service map and look for trailheads that don't have user fees and require some effort to reach, perhaps on gravel road and/or longer distances from pavement. Those are more likely to be less crowded.
Don't pick a trail with a picturesque knock-your-socks-off destination, especially on a weekend. Those are also likely crowded.
Ask your question differently: "Which trails are too crowded and I should avoid?" Then you'll have a way of narrowing down the possibilities.

"Leave No Virtual Trace."