Seeking Trinity Alps recommendations

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
justpeachy

Seeking Trinity Alps recommendations

Post by justpeachy » March 24th, 2018, 4:14 pm

We'd like to do a three-day two-night backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps the first week of July. A loop is preferable, but not required. We've never been there before so I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks! :D

retired jerry

Re: Seeking Trinity Alps recommendations

Post by retired jerry » March 24th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Up to Granite Lake, over to Deer Creek, up to Black Basin, Mumsford Basin, Swift Creek - 27 miles. It's in the field guide.

Or rather than going from Black Basin to Mumsford Basin, go from Black Basin down Bear Creek to Swift Creek, maybe 5 miles less and better trail.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 26th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Stacey and I did Union Creek last year on July 1 and while the flowers were beautiful, there was still snow above the lake and it was blistering hot. 97 degrees while we were hiking! We were not inspired enough to spend another night out there, so maybe don't do Union Creek? ;)

Also, an Etna local suggested the Russian Wilderness as a beautiful alternative. Might be worth checking out.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 29th, 2018, 10:59 am

The Russian Wilderness has some neat areas but doesn't lend itself well to loops unless you're willing to do some XC. An out-and-back to Russian Lake either via the PCT from Carter Meadows Summit or via the Deacon Lee Trail from the Timber Camp Trailhead would be pleasant. Stay at the lake and explore from there. Big Blue Lake (TR) in the north part of the Russian is an awesome destination but requires some XC both to reach and to form a loop.

Grizzly Lake in the heart of the Trinities is amazing (TR). It's a shorter drive (to the China Springs TH) from Oregon than other spots in the central Trinities. It's a tough hike, but still very popular. If you get to the lake there are plenty of campsites but if you camp below - at Grizzly Meadows - sites are limited. It can also get real hot in the canyon!

The northern Trinities are not as gee whiz granitic as the centrals but still very pretty (ignore the cows). Starting from the East Boulder TH (TR), you can use the PCT to connect trails and make some nice loops through the Eagle and Granite Creek drainages.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » March 29th, 2018, 11:21 am

I have limited experience in the Trinities. Caribou Lake was an excellent backpacking destination. I did it in and out via Coffee Creek. It reminded me somewhat of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in Washington, which is high praise from me. There is a loop possible, I didn't know about it until I was there. Can't remember the name of the other trail, but you pass a junction with it almost at the beginning of the hike.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » April 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I'd vote for Caribou Lakes. They are really special. Two nights there would be heaven.

I'll echo what others have said: it gets quite hot there in the summer. Also, the hike to Caribou doesn't have a lot of water, so I'd recommend hitting it early. In fact, the hike goes through some burn area, and I don't remember it being all that great. But the destination, oh my!

There's an option to do it as a lollipop: park Big Flat (at end of Coffee Creek Rd.), go over Caribou Lakes Trail and return Old Caribou Lakes Trail (near Snowslide Lake) (around 20 miles total). It's described in the Lewon book.