First time hiker

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Lizardking

First time hiker

Post by Lizardking » March 15th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi everybody! I have a question and may have more later. So, we have a hike scheduled for June 5th through the 7th. I'm trying to find some good trails. maybe just one long one or maybe a couple to span the 3 days. Anyway, in my searches so far, I'm really liking the look of Mckenzie River trail. I want to do the whole thing. I see that it's pretty popular. So, what I'm wondering is, is it going to be crowded in the beginning of June and also it seems to be a popular biking trail. Are we constantly going to have to dodge bikers? I see they're planning on building some bypass trails for bikers this year and next year. I just don't want to fly all the way from NY and regret picking that trail. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks all!

adamschneider

Re: First time hiker

Post by adamschneider » March 15th, 2018, 5:07 pm

You won't be dodging bikers on a Tuesday through Thursday.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 15th, 2018, 5:52 pm

where are you sleeping at night, along the trail?

Lizardking

Post by Lizardking » March 16th, 2018, 5:09 am

Well, Retired jerry, not familiar with the trail so if you or anyone has any good suggestions, let me know.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 16th, 2018, 6:13 am

are you backpacking? or driving your car to camp and walking from there?

there are occasional Forest Service campgrounds. They tend to fill up but probably okay mid week.

there are many places along the way you could backpack camp

Belknap Hotsprings has a campground, rooms, two heated swimming pools,...

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 16th, 2018, 11:35 am

These might help with your planning:

June 2017 MRT backpack

USFS Trail #3507

Lizardking

Post by Lizardking » March 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm

adamschneider wrote:You won't be dodging bikers on a Tuesday through Thursday.
Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Lizardking

Post by Lizardking » March 16th, 2018, 4:56 pm

retired jerry wrote:are you backpacking? or driving your car to camp and walking from there?

there are occasional Forest Service campgrounds. They tend to fill up but probably okay mid week.

there are many places along the way you could backpack camp

Belknap Hotsprings has a campground, rooms, two heated swimming pools,...
Yes, we are backpacking for three days and will definitely need to camp. We have all of the supplies we need, will just need to find some spots to camp for each night. My brother and a friend of ours who I'll be with are both experienced at this. They left the decision up to me basically. So I want to get as much info as possible. I also read about a shuttle service. Is that available for hikers also or just bikers? It's about a 2 hour drive for us so we'd just park and go if there's a shuttle service. What do you think?

Lizardking

Post by Lizardking » March 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm

VanMarmot wrote:These might help with your planning:

June 2017 MRT backpack

USFS Trail #3507
Thanks for the links. We'll be moving at a leisurely pace so it seems like doing the whole trail in three days is feasible. Do you agree? One of my main concerns is will it be crowded and will we be sharing the trail with bikers the whole time. It'll be from tuesday through thursday, June 4th-6th. Just trying to get as much info as I can.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Lizardking wrote:Thanks for the links. We'll be moving at a leisurely pace so it seems like doing the whole trail in three days is feasible. Do you agree? One of my main concerns is will it be crowded and will we be sharing the trail with bikers the whole time. It'll be from tuesday through thursday, June 4th-6th. Just trying to get as much info as I can.
The stretches between Sahalie and Koosah Falls and just downstream from the Blue Pool are the only sections that are really popular, so you won't want to pitch your tents there. On the rest of the trail, you'll encounter people from time to time, but it's not going to be the way it is at a National Park or anything.