Hummocks Trailhead and JRO?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DannyH

Hummocks Trailhead and JRO?

Post by DannyH » February 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Has anyone been up to the Hummocks or Coldwater Lake area recently? I'm planning on going from the Hummocks trailhead to the observatory this Saturday and wondering if we even need to bring snowshoes this year.

Thanks
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

kepPNW

Re: Hummocks Trailhead and JRO?

Post by kepPNW » February 7th, 2018, 7:08 am

DannyH wrote:I'm planning on going from the Hummocks trailhead to the observatory this Saturday and wondering if we even need to bring snowshoes this year.
We went up three weeks ago, and it was nearly bare then. With this warm stretch... almost inconceivable.
    Loowit Viewpoint, 14 Jan 2018
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

DannyH

Post by DannyH » February 7th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply and the information Karl. That is both really helpful, and quite depressing at the same time. I suppose my snowshoes will last a long time at their current rate of use.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 7th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Danny, SeanThomas went up today and said that there was almost two feet at JRO, including a cornice that has been sculpted by the wind. He was in shorts and a t shirt, but he is Sean, after all :lol:
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 8th, 2018, 6:52 am

sprengers4jc wrote:Danny, SeanThomas went up today and said that there was almost two feet at JRO, including a cornice that has been sculpted by the wind.
I believe he said it was pretty bare at JRO, and that snow/cornice was on Harrys Ridge?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

DannyH

Post by DannyH » February 9th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Judging by the pictures he posted on FB it looks pretty bare around JRO. That and Ski Bowl being a couple weeks away from mountain bike season (much to my chagrin) the snowshoes will stay.