State of Dickey Creek Trail - Bull of the woods #553

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
sk8sn0surf

State of Dickey Creek Trail - Bull of the woods #553

Post by sk8sn0surf » January 27th, 2018, 8:18 am

Hello, anyone know the current status of this trail? I am looking to lead a trip here in the spring and a few sources mention downed trees and unstable ground during the initial descent. Is this still the case?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/ ... ecid=52912

Thanks!!
Last edited by sk8sn0surf on January 27th, 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobFromRedland

Re: State of Dickey Creek Trail - Bull of the woods #553

Post by RobFromRedland » January 27th, 2018, 9:05 am

A little less than a mile in, the trail takes a steep descent. Until about 4 or 5 years ago, this was just a trail, with no steps and was REALLY steep. When it was wet, it was more of a slide than a trail. Sometime in the last 4 or 5 years, there has been a lot of steps installed down this steep section which makes it a LOT better. There are still some rough sections, but it is WAY easier than it used to be.

Here are some photos of that initial descent with the new steps (I couldn't find any "before" pictures):

I was on it last spring and there were a few trees down, but not too bad. You can expect more have come down this winter. If you are concerned about it, I would suggest doing a recon hike before your "guided" hike to make sure it matches your expectations.

You can also get more info here (including a GPS track): https://www.trailadvocate.org/trails/553-2/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

sk8sn0surf

Post by sk8sn0surf » January 27th, 2018, 12:20 pm

This is perfect! Thanks!

sk8sn0surf

Post by sk8sn0surf » January 27th, 2018, 12:28 pm

How about the number of campsites at Big Slide Lake? Enough space to accomodate a group of 12 on a Saturday in late may/early June given there will probably be other groups there?

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 27th, 2018, 2:07 pm

That might be tight. I haven't been all the way to big slide lake in close to 10 years, but my recollection is that there aren't too many sites there. 3 or 4 at the most I think, but my memory may be faulty. I do remember when we went there was no one else there. Maybe there is more than I remember, though. Part of it will depend on how cozy you want to get.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 31st, 2018, 9:50 am

There are at least 3-4 sites at Big Slide Lake but probably more. If you explore around the lake you'll probably find something to your liking.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm

There were quite a few small trees down on the way up to big slide lake as well. Nothing too difficult to climb over but many that were a few feet off the ground.