Base for Day Hikes in WA or OR

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
ainmsuil

Base for Day Hikes in WA or OR

Post by ainmsuil » January 16th, 2018, 4:54 am

Would folks have any recommendations on cool (not hot) places in western Oregon or western Washington where a father and son could plan a July vacation that would give them access to a lot of hiking trails (for day hikes)?

This would not involve overnight backpacking, as my son (10) is not ready for that.

But car camping, or cabins, or any other kind lodging would be fine.

Thanks.

Mac

xrp

Re: Base for Day Hikes in WA or OR

Post by xrp » January 16th, 2018, 6:03 am

You can use recreation.gov and reserveramerica.org to find and reserve federal and state park camping spots.

It would be hard pressed not to find day hiking opportunities near any of the federal/state campgrounds.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 16th, 2018, 6:08 am

I would checkout camping opportunities in the Hood River Area, this will give you easy access to WA & OR Gorge as well as MT Hood and Mt Adams.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 16th, 2018, 6:27 am

cool? July? coast is your best bet

this is not a secret so you better reserve, fairly soon

Cape Look out has a few hikes nearby

Cape Perpetua

Kalaloch on the Olympic Peninsula in WA

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 16th, 2018, 9:58 am

It probably won't be hot if you get above 5000' or so, and the mountains have much better hiking opportunities than the coast. I'd look for a USFS campground near Mt. Hood... and if you have specific dates in mind, I'd do it soon. The really popular campgrounds — like those on the shore of Timothy Lake — are already booked up for July weekends.

Note that if you don't mind not having access to a bathroom, you can camp for FREE pretty much anywhere you want in the National Forests; it's called "dispersed camping."

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 16th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I agree with the suggestion that above 5000' won't often be hot, even in July. I'd mention Waldo Lake as a good place to go. But it can be buggy, especially in early July. By late July the blood suckers ought to be thinned out to tolerable levels.

if you don't mind not having access to a bathroom... or to a tested water supply or a picnic table or enclosed fire pit or an obvious level spot to pitch a tent. The best dispersed camping spots are near a river or creek and have been camped in for decades, but many of these are well-known enough to be occupied much of the summer and lately many others have been closed for restoration due to the accumulated damage from decades of (over)use. Finding a 'new' dispersed camp site with some open flat ground and access to water is not very easy. Just pulling the car to the side of a forest road and roughing it sounds easy, but takes a willingness to explore, possibly for many miles. Also, bring a FS map for the forest you are exploring. Those roads can be confusing.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 16th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Aimless wrote:if you don't mind not having access to a bathroom... or to a tested water supply or a picnic table or enclosed fire pit or an obvious level spot to pitch a tent.
Personally, I only use dispersed camping as a place to crash for the night, so the lack of a bathroom is the only drawback that affects me. There's almost always SOMEPLACE to pitch a tent, as long as the contour lines are far enough apart.

ainmsuil

Post by ainmsuil » January 17th, 2018, 4:43 am

Thanks for all the comments.

I am now looking at Kalaloch and Forks, WA.

I have never been to Olympic National Park.

Mac

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 17th, 2018, 7:33 am

good map https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/ ... -25-16.pdf

they give it out free at ranger stations, you have to ask for the Wilderness Map that has trail mileages

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » January 17th, 2018, 9:39 am

I would look at the North Umpqua River. The river trail is accessed by many roads that cross bridges so you could car camp at easily accessible trailheads, do a half-day round trip downriver, lunch back at the car, half day roundtrip up river, then move up to the next bridge. It can be pretty hot but the river is handy.

I'm somewhat interested in the Tombstone Pass area by Highway 20 (?). There are a number of trails nearby. Gate Creek, I think, and Browder Ridge.

There seem to be quite a few trails near Cougar Reservoir ... north side of the river away from the hot springs. I have not been into any but French Pete. I'm not sure what impact the fires had on the trails. Definitely suggest contacting USFS first for info there.

There are some good trails around the Mt Jefferson and Three Sisters wildernesses. Some I'd prefer to do as day hikes. They're pretty popular and may require entry permits to manage traffic load. You'd want to check with USFS on those as well.
- Tom