Suggestions for first overnight snowshoe trip?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
LostTexan

Suggestions for first overnight snowshoe trip?

Post by LostTexan » January 8th, 2018, 9:20 pm

I have decided I cannot wait until this summer to go backpacking and was thinking of attempting my first overnight trip. I have never camped in the winter/snow before and so wanted to some suggestions for where to take my first destination. I live in Portland so would prefer either somewhere near Mt Hood or maybe somewhere in the coast range. I have snowshoes and want to try them out. But I dont want to bite off more than I can chew. But I like loooong hikes. Any suggestions? Thanks

xrp

Re: Suggestions for first overnight snowshoe trip?

Post by xrp » January 9th, 2018, 9:38 am

Trillium Lake?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 9th, 2018, 2:20 pm

If you want to REALLY ease yourself into it, snowshoe to a "hut": https://skimtta.org/reservations/

bghiker

Post by bghiker » January 11th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Not a long hike by any means but June Lake on Mt St Helens was my first snow camping trip. Its beautiful, quiet, and could be made into a longer hike by connecting with some of the snowshoeing trails from Marble Mountain snow park. There are also a couple good camping spots by Chocolate Falls but if its a nice day you will probably see a lot of climbers passing nearby.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » January 11th, 2018, 11:12 pm

adamschneider wrote:If you want to REALLY ease yourself into it, snowshoe to a "hut": https://skimtta.org/reservations/
I highly recommend this if it sounds like something you'd enjoy. Did it earlier this year and had a great time. Nice, clean, very warm accommodations, but of course it's not camping if that's what you're after.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 12th, 2018, 6:54 am

I'm not really into showshoeing, but in the field guide, "winter and spring backpacking" there's a list of backpacking that's not in the snow

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 12th, 2018, 9:44 am

Trillium Lake is a good suggestion because there are restrooms available at the dam, and its a fairly easy walk out if you find its not your cup of tea. Other campgrounds like Clear Lake or Frog Lake might offer such accommodations as well.

A few 1st timer hints:

Sleeping on snow is different than on ground. Have a thermarest or air mattress to insulate you from the snow. A thermal blanket does not cut it.

Water is also an issue. It may be cold, but you dehydrate more in the winter.

Bring a book and headlamp. There's far more tent time than in the long days of summer.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 12th, 2018, 9:53 am

Foam pad plus an insulated air mattress like a Thermarest on snow is good. There are some mattresses that are warm enough by themselves.

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » January 13th, 2018, 10:20 am

Thank you everyone for all the good info!