100 to 150 mile backpack trip recommendations?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
CMH

100 to 150 mile backpack trip recommendations?

Post by CMH » January 7th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for 100 to 150 mile backpack trips in or fairly close to the PNW.

In 2016 I hiked the Timberline and the Mark O. Hatfield trails. In 2017 I hiked the Wonderland Trail. I'm looking to continue to progress to greater distances in backpacking and see new scenery.

I'm considering the 110 mile section of the CDT through Glacier National Park, or just heading North or South on the PCT from the Bridge of the Gods. A friend mentioned I could do part of the John Muir Trail. I was thinking of hiking the beach portion of Olympic National Park, but that seems a bit short.

What other options should I consider?

drm

Re: 100 to 150 mile backpack trip recommendations?

Post by drm » January 8th, 2018, 7:33 am

There are long loops to be had in Hells Canyon. Trails will not be maintained to the level of the trails you mentioned. There will be sections where it is overgrown and you have to find it, etc. A fair amount of EG, but not as much as the Wonderland. No crowds certainly, or permit hassles. A long loop can be done in the Olympics too. We had a multi-part report fairly recently of one such loop that also included some primitive sections requiring route-finding.

pcg

Post by pcg » January 8th, 2018, 9:47 am

An option where you will see less people is the Oregon Desert Trail. Don't go in summer for obvious reasons.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 8th, 2018, 11:58 am

The two largest wildernesses in Oregon are Three Sisters and Eagle Cap. It is possible to stitch together some very long hikes in both places, but if solitude is part of what you're seeking, Eagle Cap would be the better destination, since it is furthest from a major metro area. The only parts Eagle Cap that attract large numbers are the Lakes Basin area just north of Eagle Cap mountain, and Aneroid Lake. About 80% of Eagle Cap is sparsely visited and yet offers gorgeous scenery.

The PCT south of Three Sisters down to Ashland is much less hiked than the PCT from Three Sisters up to Cascade Locks and only a bit less beautiful. The Muir trail is famously spectacular and notoriously overcrowded. The CDT in Montana would certainly fill the bill, as would most of the CDT. It is easily the least hiked of the Big Three long trails: AT, PCT and CDT.

(Later addition:) Hiking north from Bridge of the Gods on the PCT starts you out on a long, makeshift route that covers a lot of ugly miles with few campsite opportunities. If you start instead where the PCT passes 100 yards from Panther Creek campground and head north, you'll avoid that ugly section and can hike a good 100 miles up to White Pass through some really great wilderness areas: Indian Heaven, Mt Adams, and Goat Rocks. I've done it. It's a good hike. Wm. O. Douglas wilderness is nice, too, if you want to add another 30 miles or so.

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » January 8th, 2018, 2:47 pm

How about a chunk of the Idaho Centennial Trail? It's 900 or so miles. The little bit I saw in the Bitterroots on the ID/MT border was pretty darn cool.
- Tom

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » January 8th, 2018, 11:53 pm

If you enjoyed the Wonderland Trail, I might suggest circumnavigating Glacier Peak, a bit further north. I haven't done the complete circuit around either, but I've done quite a bit of both piece meal. In my opinion around Glacier Peak is more scenic, plus no red tape/permit hassles to deal with. A significant stretch of it follows the PCT, so you might have plenty of company. Other sections might give you quite a bit of solitude. The vast majority of it is on well established trails, but a few short sections w/ some unmaintained trails, maybe a bit of route finding. Also there are probably a few route options. I don't think it lends itself as well to resupply points as the WT (no Ranger Stations/National Park lodges in route). I think it's a bit longer than the WT, and a bit more rugged too. Did I mention fantastic scenery?

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » January 8th, 2018, 11:58 pm

You could hike a section of the PNT (Pacific Northwest Trail). Guaranteed to be less crowded than the PCT. I've heard it's spectacular, but the route is not nearly as well established as other thru hikes, there is definitely some route finding involved in some places. Also some road walking. Depends on where you hit it at. I've heard the section thru the Pasayten Wilderness and heading towards Ross Lake is excellent. It probably doesn't lend itself to section hikes as readily as the PCT however.

CMH

Post by CMH » January 9th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some trails to research. I don't mind moving more towards off trail/route finding instead of the more popular front-country trails I've done, but I'll take it one step at a time.
Capture.PNG

CMH

Post by CMH » January 11th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I'm leaning towards a section of the PNT suggested by olderthanIusedtobe through the Olympic National Park.

I'm considering either Ozette on the coast to near Port Angeles, or near Forks to near Sequim.

I have family in Port Angeles, who would be happy to give me rides to/from the trailheads, so that would make logistics easier.

I like the idea of the variety of the coast portion and the mountain portion. I backpacked a small section of the coast portion when I was a kid.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 11th, 2018, 3:03 pm

look at Robin's trip across Olympics, part 5 is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26215

Maybe Graves Creek to Hurricane Ridge. Maybe include Grand Valley. Down Dosewalips.

The coast trails (Ozette, Rialto Beach, Third Beach,...) don't connect well to interior trails.

check out https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/ ... -25-16.pdf which you can get free on paper at NPS stations