3-day backpacking trip in Central OR---suggestions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rdp32

3-day backpacking trip in Central OR---suggestions?

Post by rdp32 » January 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Hello, first-time post here. I will be in Central OR in mid-July this upcoming summer and am considering doing a 2-night, 3-day backpacking trip with some family members. We'll be near the Mt. Jefferson wilderness already, so something there would be great, but something in the Three Sisters Wilderness or some other area in the vicinity would be fine too.

1. I'd classify my group as "intermediate" hikers/backpackers. We've all been backpacking a number of times, but not in the snow and we are hoping to mostly avoid snow. Maybe something in the 25-30 mile range or so, depending on the elevation gain, terrain difficulty, etc.
2. I'm assuming mid-July is earlier than ideal, both in terms of remaining snow and bugs; are my fears justified?
3. We would be able to go mid-week (something like Tues-Thurs), so hopefully that would minimize the crowds. I'm coming from Colorado, and do most of my backpacking in CO, UT, and WY, so my standards are pretty high... I'm basically looking for the most spectacular scenery possible.
4. We could probably do a 1-way trip with a car shuttle if that will enable a fun route.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

retired jerry

Re: 3-day backpacking trip in Central OR---suggestions?

Post by retired jerry » January 4th, 2018, 7:26 am

mid July - bugs - yes - make sure and bring DEET, long sleeves, head net

snow at higher elevations but it depends on the year, check back a few weeks ahead

The PCT on the west side will have lots of snow, I wouldn't go there, but the east side of Three Sisters or Mt Jefferson would probably be okay, maybe patches or a few short sections of snow. Make sure and get a map that shows where the trail goes in case it's under snow a bit.

Maybe the loop around Broken Top - click on "field guide" at upper left, "central oregon", "trail around broken top". Other hikes there too. The Trail up to Camp Lake is pretty nice. Try to go past it a ways to the crest, maybe up towards Middle Sister.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 4th, 2018, 8:19 am

In mid-July, the PCT might have lots of snow, but it might not. So far this is shaping up to be a pretty low snow year, and if that doesn't change, you'll have more options — for example, a loop around South Sister would be a nice 3-day trip.

rdp32

Post by rdp32 » January 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions! Sounds like I should check back in when the time gets closer to get a more accurate feel for the trail conditions and what will be possible. In the meantime, if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » January 5th, 2018, 11:20 am

I personally wouldn't go to either area in mid-July unless it turns out to be a low snow year. The bugs would be awful that time of year if the snow is normal. The best way to tell what kind of year we will have is to check the snow water equivalent on April 1, as compared to normal. If it is 75% or lower, I'd do Three Sisters. If not, I'd go to Forks, WA and hike the Olympic Coast. There is nothing like it--miles of wilderness beaches--in the lower 48. It's a long drive, but you definitely won't have problems with bugs or snow!

Assuming you do Three Sisters, then I would suggest starting at Devils Lake outside of Bend and hiking north along the PCT to where the PCT meets Hwy 242 near North Mathieu Lake. That's about 25 miles and covers arguably the most spectacular country in the wilderness.

A close second (if you don't want to do a shuttle) is to start on the east side of the crest at the Pole Creek TH, hike to Camp/Chambers Lakes, the follow a boot path west down to the PCT. From there you can loop counter-clockwise around S. Sister (and summit if you want). This would be a bit more challenging b/c it requires some navigation, but not a ton. It is about 33 miles if you start at Pole Creek with some x-country above Camp/Chambers Lake. You could reduce mileage if you start at Devils Lake, but you said you were around Mt. Jefferson, so Devils Lake would be a longer drive than Pole Creek from the Mt. Jefferson area. If you're actually in Bend, then Devils Lake would be closer.

5th

Post by 5th » January 5th, 2018, 11:58 am

Keep in mind that the lion's share of the Three Sisters Wilderness is currently off-limits until the order is rescinded or July 1st. This includes the PCT within the 3SisW. As this has already been extended once and we see burned areas left in an off-limits state for extended periods, it might be extended again. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'd hate to have someone show up from out of state only to find they can't do the trip they planned.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamet ... 552029#ave

Charley

Post by Charley » January 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Here's a couple threads detailing a trip I took in winter several years ago in the Oregon Badlands. I haven't done it in the summer, but I can guarantee it won't be snowed in, and it likely won't be on fire, either. It's not the scenic highlight of our region, but it's a relatively easy trip, and like I said, it won't be snowed in, so that increases your predictability factor.

Maps:
https://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/view ... 10&t=17940

Photos:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18114&view=previous
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » January 7th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Charley wrote:Here's a couple threads detailing a trip I took in winter several years ago in the Oregon Badlands. I haven't done it in the summer, but I can guarantee it won't be snowed in, and it likely won't be on fire, either.
True, but it will be hotter than hell and there's no water out there. Not the best showcase of Central Oregon's mountains either.

That being said I love the Badlands in winter and spring :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 7th, 2018, 6:53 pm

jessbee wrote:That being said I love the Badlands in winter and spring :)
Any specific recommendations for drivable (4WD) destinations and short (4 miles round trip or less) hikes in that area? I've never been there but I hope to get there this year.

pcg

Post by pcg » January 7th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Webfoot wrote:
jessbee wrote:That being said I love the Badlands in winter and spring :)
Any specific recommendations for drivable (4WD) destinations and short (4 miles round trip or less) hikes in that area? I've never been there but I hope to get there this year.
The Badlands trailhead on Hwy 20 south of Bend gives you access to short hikes and is a really interesting area with lots of islands of rock outcroppings to explore. It's wilderness so you have to park at the trailhead and walk on the remains of old ranch roads. The area to the east is closed in the spring to protect nesting prairie falcons. There's lots of BLM land on the south side of Hwy 20 and I've enjoyed short hikes in the Stookey Flats area - lots of caves to explore. That area is criss-crossed with 2-track dirt roads so 4wd is very useful, but the roads are mostly flat and not treacherous at all, but can get very slippery in the spring. Watch for rattlesnakes. It's a great area to camp and build a fire (fire pan required) and gaze at the stars.

The farther SE you are from Bend, the more peace and quiet you will find. A hike up to Glass Butte is short and fun. Lots of black and red obsidian lying around and a few old mercury mines are in the area as well and there is pink cinnabar lying around. Christmas Valley is wonderful as well. The Crack in the Ground is a short fun hike in that area.