Cloud Cap Road - road open / road conditions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kirsty

Cloud Cap Road - road open / road conditions?

Post by kirsty » November 21st, 2017, 5:44 pm

Hi!

Looking to do some snowshoeing around Cloud Cap Inn / Tilly Jane area soon. Have only hiked in the area in summertime in previous years, never winter.

Is Cloud Cap Road up to Cloud Cap Inn & Tilly Jane Campground open and ploughed at this time of year? I cannot find anything anywhere about it. Would an AWD with snow chains be sufficient for this drive if it is open?

Many thanks for your help!

Water

Re: Cloud Cap Road - road open / road conditions?

Post by Water » November 21st, 2017, 5:55 pm

Welcome.

No, the road is never plowed to my knowledge, and is gated.

All adventures on that side of the mountain start at the Tilly Jane Snopark.

The only exception is for crag-rats, I think they can take a mini-snowcat thing they have up the road. Not sure if snomobiles are banned on the road after it is gated but I almost would be shocked if they weren't.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » November 24th, 2017, 9:16 am

I don't know the regs, but in many winter visits, I've never seen snowcat tracks on that road. The Tilly Jane trail provides access in under 3 miles with a decent EG and is heavily traveled so will be well broken and tracked unless you are in the middle of a blizzard. If the weather is nice, the Cloudcap deck is a wonderful place for a break in the winter.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » November 25th, 2017, 8:59 pm

There's probably exceptions somewhere (if there are residences maybe) but I don't think any forest service roads get plowed once you've crossed into fs lands.. FS roads are federal and the state/ODOT are in charge of plowing. They have other priorities.
A couple lower elevation examples... they'll plow Lolo Pass Rd past all the houses to that first junction heading off towards Ramona Falls and that's it. They don't plow to the Sandy River bridge.
They'll get around to plowing the road up to Little ZigZag Falls as far as the Kiwanas Camp but rarely go further.
Money, money money... :lol: