Sand Mountain Lookout

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DannyH

Sand Mountain Lookout

Post by DannyH » October 4th, 2017, 5:03 am

Has anyone been to the Sand Mountain Lookout in the last year or so? Just wondering if the road there is passable in a passenger car?

Thanks!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

justpeachy

Re: Sand Mountain Lookout

Post by justpeachy » October 4th, 2017, 6:18 am

I've never been there, but I remember earlier this summer when I was considering going there and I looked up the geocache that's located there. According to that info the gate is always locked so it's a two-mile hike up to the top. As for getting to the gate from the highway, the roads are described as being "a little rough" and not recommended for low clearance cars.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » October 4th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Used to be a pretty rough track, probably best for a pickup or SUV unless it's been improved....which I'm sure it hasn't.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

DannyH

Post by DannyH » October 8th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the responses! I found my copy of "Bend Overall" that also states that high clearance is necessary. We're staying at Suttle Lake so we may see how close we can get with the Mazda 3.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Guy

Post by Guy » October 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm

DannyH wrote:.......so we may see how close we can get with the Mazda 3.
Now that's the spirit :)

In the past we got to a lot of places where nobody expected to see a Kia Spectra :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 8th, 2017, 7:32 pm

I have driven to the top of Sand Mountain twice but it was years ago. (1980 and 1987) Both times in rear wheel drive cars - not high clearance. Getting to the pass between the two cinder cones was easy but the final bit to the south peak where the lookout is was difficult - though I made it. It was a loose sandy surface and I really had to floor it to make it up. I doubt if the road is any better now. Still, it's just a short hike from the pass and even if you have to hike all the way from the bottom, it is not a very long hike - maybe 3 1/2 miles RT total.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

DannyH

Post by DannyH » October 9th, 2017, 11:47 am

I always have a shovel in the car even if it's reported to be a good gravel road. Sometimes a couple minutes of work in just a few spots can get me miles closer to where I want to be. Not always that case of course. More often than not it's too much brush scratching on paint that forces a turn around.