Mt. Baldy, CA

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
sheilakpdx

Mt. Baldy, CA

Post by sheilakpdx » October 3rd, 2017, 6:34 pm

Hello!

Considering heading east and hiking Mt. Baldy while visiting in LA in the next 10 -14 days. Other than a few trail descriptions I find online, I know little about this hike. Does anyone have information or an experience they would like to share?
Many thanks!

Bosterson

Re: Mt. Baldy, CA

Post by Bosterson » October 3rd, 2017, 10:36 pm

You mean Mt. San Antonio in the San Gabriel Mountains? It's a 10,000 ft walk up, kind of like Lassen but the trail's longer and it's not a volcano. Go up Baldy Road to access the Devil's Backbone trail, or I think we actually parked up by the ski lifts and walked up through the ski area on some old roadbeds to get to the TH. My recollection (this happened 13+ years ago) is that the top of Baldy isn't that interesting; the better hike in the area was up Icehouse Canyon. Cucamonga Peak (~8,800 ft?) is a neat summit that's not too far from the saddle at the top of the canyon. I did it in November after the first snows, wearing meshy hiking shoes, no gaiters, couldn't find my gloves or hat, and had an ice axe dropped through the haul loop on my Jansport backpack from school. About 12 mi r/t and close to 4000 ft EG. From the saddle atop Icehouse Canyon, you can also hit Bighorn Peak and run the ridge out to Ontario. All the stuff on the south side has a big view of valley below; from Cucamonga, you basically look 8000 ft back down to the sprawl of Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga/etc.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 4th, 2017, 1:51 pm

You can do a loop over Mt. San Antonio. The Devils Backbone is the funnest part of this hike.

For a solid workout, I'd suggest the Bear Canyon / Baldy Village route. Much of this route is along a ridge, which makes for good views as you sweat...

These trails may have suffered in recent fires / heavy rains, so check with the ranger station before heading out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I did that in 1970s. And other peaks nearby - lots of open granite good for cross country.

In addition to what Nat said, there's a ski lift you might be able to take that cuts half the distance.

There are times it gets blizzardy and people die so watch weather reports.

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » October 4th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Thanks all that have replied.

Yep, weather is the first priority and an alternative hike is under consideration due to high traffic on the trail. I am not sure how many people hike Mt. Baldy/San Antonio in October but plan to call the ranger to get an idea - a weekend day is the only option.