Mt St Helens easy hike suggestions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
X-ZZ4

Mt St Helens easy hike suggestions

Post by X-ZZ4 » September 28th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Even though I can see the mountain on most sunny days, and watched "The Eruption" from my front porch as a kid, I've never actually been there!

This must stop. And it must stop one of these next upcoming weekends.

I'd like to drive to the Visitors center and use that as a starting point. I'd also like to drive from there to the Johnson Ridge Observatory and do the "walk".

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wash ... atory-walk

Here's the ~hour drive from the visitors center to the Johnson Ridge Observatory....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/mt+st+h ... 46.2753279

But clearly a 1/2 mile walk after all that driving isn't enough. Can anyone suggest something near this route that would be a nice little add on hike to make it a day? Maybe in the 2-4 mile and easy/medium range as far as difficulty?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

kepPNW

Re: Mt St Helens easy hike suggestions

Post by kepPNW » September 28th, 2017, 8:41 pm

X-ZZ4 wrote:But clearly a 1/2 mile walk after all that driving isn't enough. Can anyone suggest something near this route that would be a nice little add on hike to make it a day? Maybe in the 2-4 mile and easy/medium range as far as difficulty?
Just keep going! Heading towards the cutoff for Devils Elbow would be in that range. Just over the next ridge is The Spillover area. If you kept going to Harrys Ridge, it's about 8 miles round trip. There's interesting stuff all along the Boundary Trail up there!

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... Ridge_Hike

Also nearby, just before SR504 climbs to JRO, are the Hummocks and Coldwater Lake trailheads. The first is a rolling trail with a few short-ish options through a very unique landscape. The second follows the northern lakeshore to the far end (and beyond), so you decide how far to go.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Re: Mt St Helens easy hike suggestions

Post by Peder » September 29th, 2017, 5:55 am

First of all - you only really need a pass if you plan to enter the Johnston Ridge Observatory (the movie shown there is pretty much worth the money - $8).

If you plan to stop at the Visitor Center 3 miles east of I-5, then do the 0.8 mile (?) boardwalk loop, as it is nice with good views.

Stop at the Coldwater Lake trail head - the boardwalk there is an interesting visit (0.3 miles?)

Drive to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. Park at the popular end of the lot if you are into paying $8, movies and that kind of stuff. For a more quiet experience, park at the far end of the lot (there is an information board) and follow the trail as far east as you wish. If you get carried away, you will end up on Harry's Ridge, an 8 mile return hike. No matter what you do, the views are fantastic on a good day (hint: check the weather forecast!).

Finally, to avoid angry children and vengeful mothers-in-law, remember that no food or beverages are sold once you go beyond Toutle.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…