scrambley summits

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
olderthanIusedtobe

Re: scrambley summits

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 20th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Probably quite a few options in the Goat Rocks. Only summits I've been to are Bear Creek Mtn. (pretty much a walkup IIRC) and Old Snowy, just a bit scrambly at the top. Fantastic view from Old Snowy at the crest of the Goat Rocks range and you can scout/plot other summits to try to visit. Ives and Gilbert (high point in the range) are nearby.

Rainier NP and the Pinnacle has been mentioned. A bunch of other options in the Tatoosh Range, some of which trend toward a bit more technical. I've visited The Castle, Unicorn, Plummer and Manatee aka Foss. Boundary and Stevens near Unicorn look intriguing. You can do a cool traverse from Pinnacle over toward the Unicorn area. I've done it when snow covered, but I've seen pictures indicating there is a boot path along the ridge for much of the traverse.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 20th, 2017, 1:17 pm

For scrambly peak bagging galore in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, the Teanaway Range is hard to beat. Area was closed due to fires recently but may be accessible again soon hopefully? I haven't hit all of them, but South Peak of Ingalls, Bean, Teanaway aka Gene's were all fun. Volcanic Neck looks intriguing. Some other peaks in the area are closer to walkups. Of course there is the grand daddy of scrambles just to the north, Mt. Stuart.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » July 6th, 2019, 8:40 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
September 15th, 2017, 8:26 pm
The Dark divide has lots of scrambley summits:
I could use some good advice regarding climbing to the top of Craggy Peak in the Dark Divide.

There are at least two access points from the south. The first is from the Craggy Peak trail head. The other is from the Snagtooth Creek crossing on road 9341 (road closed at the slide but a bicycle easily solves that problem). Which of these two access points is shortest?

And what is best way to get to the top of Craggy Peak? Ridge lines are typically best for safe climbing but I'm not sure which ridge line is best. Maps show ridges to the east, south, and north of Craggy Peak. Which one is the safest? Is there an obvious trail somewhere?