Sanity check- going to a trailhead that is in a Level 1 evac

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjirving

Re: Sanity check- going to a trailhead that is in a Level 1

Post by mjirving » September 1st, 2017, 7:06 pm

I always mentally prepare myself to have to swap sections at the last minute as "summit fever" is so fierce. Go hike Stevens Pass to Stehekin and then take the boat back the 55-mile length of Lake Chelan and then hitch or take a shuttle back to Stevens Pass. It's incredibly epic and way cooler than that section of the PCT anyways. (I just finished it and have hiked both). You know you're going to get hooked and have to hike the PCT in Washington anyway so get started now! :-)

Mike (aka GoalTech)

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 4th, 2017, 8:37 am

I should work on another section but the transportation logistics are not easy to re-arrange. My parents are too old now to shuttle us and my hiking partner is in the same position. Believe me, I'd like nothing better than to switch to the OR/CA border to Crater Lake but there are additional fires in that stretch of trail and the air quality in general around Oregon is not far off of that of a dive bar before they outlawed indoor smoking.

If the weather does not change within a couple weeks, we will probably transition to Cascade Locks northbound to Trout Lake.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 4th, 2017, 10:01 am

With the new East Crater fire in Indian Heaven wilderness, even that stretch could be damn smoky then. We need rain.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 4th, 2017, 10:35 am

Temps are dropping in central Oregon starting Wednesday and I see chances of thunderstorms on Friday night. Should there be no significant rainfall associated with that, I predict even more fires popping up until we get a solid soaking on the cascade crest.