Bird Creek Meadows

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
offtrailangel

Bird Creek Meadows

Post by offtrailangel » August 12th, 2017, 7:25 am

Hello hiking friends!

This is the first time I've posted, although I've been using OregonHikers as my one and only resource for years!

I had a question about Bird Creek Meadows, I have been wanting to do this hike for a few years now! Do any of you know if the trailhead is accessible at this time? Other tips I should know about this hike?

Would love to do it in the next few weeks!

Thank you!

drm

Re: Bird Creek Meadows

Post by drm » August 12th, 2017, 6:02 pm

The traditional trailhead, where you drive up to Bird Lake, is not open and won't be this year. But you can hike in from Forest Service land. The South Climb trailhead is probably best for this.

I would add that recent reports are of heavy cattle intrusions from below as the fences intended to keep them out have not been kept in shape. The cattle like to eat flowers, but I can't say overall what the magnitude of the damage is.

I wouldn't wait too long.

offtrailangel

Post by offtrailangel » August 15th, 2017, 8:06 am

Oh my! Thank you so much for the info! Much appreciated!

offtrailangel

Post by offtrailangel » August 15th, 2017, 9:06 am

DRM, do you happen to know how long the hike would roughly be starting at the south climb trailhead?

drm

Post by drm » August 15th, 2017, 11:59 am

offtrailangel wrote:DRM, do you happen to know how long the hike would roughly be starting at the south climb trailhead?
You would reach Crooked Creek in about 4 miles one way, so that's where it starts. It would be more like 6 miles if you want to go all the way to Hellroaring Overlook.