Mathieu Lakes Trail or Marion Lake- First time for wife

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
douwei

Mathieu Lakes Trail or Marion Lake- First time for wife

Post by douwei » July 19th, 2017, 6:51 am

Hi,
Taking my wife next week for 2 nights, where would you go to take my wife for the first time? Mathieu Lakes Trail or Marion Lakes trail?

Less people the better....

retired jerry

Re: Mathieu Lakes Trail or Marion Lake- First time for wife

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2017, 7:19 am

2 miles to North Mathieu. Quite busy. Designated sites only. You may not find a site weekends.

3 miles to South Mathieu. Busy but not as bad a North Mathieu. Designated sites only but only a few. You can walk off trail north or south out of the designated camping area and find nice spots and no people. Somewhat sparse vegetation so you don't need a trail. Maybe not camping next to a lake, but you can get nice views.

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 19th, 2017, 7:44 am

I was at S. Matthieu lake last weekend. I hit the trail about 9:30 on Saturday and when I got to the lake all 3 campsites were available. I took site 3 and when I got back from my hike down the PCT around 4:30 the other 2 were full. Saw some other people coming through later in the day and not able to find a spot. I would suggest trying to hit the lake around 11 or 12. This might give the people a chance to move on if they are occupying the site the night before. Also most of the people that I saw were day hikers.

Camp Site 3

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 19th, 2017, 9:12 am

Less busy (trailhead and campsites) and no mosquitoes will be you limiting factors on any short hike to a lake.

I'd pick Matthieu Lakes since you can do it as a loop. You also have the advantage of undeveloped tent sites past the lake if you want some level of privacy.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 19th, 2017, 8:02 pm

If you just want a lake experience, Marion is the place to go. Couldn't drag me there though. Just a pool of water in a basin. Mathieu has much better scenery.

cruisingat82

Post by cruisingat82 » July 19th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Hey Wired Hiker. Many bugs on your trip?

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 20th, 2017, 10:56 am

Didn't have any issues with bugs. Saw a few mosquitoes in the morning, but nothing that was bothersome. There was some breeze which helped. Didn't get any bites.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 20th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Chip Down wrote:If you just want a lake experience, Marion is the place to go. Couldn't drag me there though. Just a pool of water in a basin. Mathieu has much better scenery.
Marion Lake is one of the best backcountry lakes in the Central Cascades. It's deep, it's got a great view of Jefferson and a huge waterfall near the outlet.

But Matthieu is better this time of year.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com