In over my head? Timberline Hike.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
spitfire557

In over my head? Timberline Hike.

Post by spitfire557 » July 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Hello guys/gals,

I'm planning a trip to visit some family in Portland during the first week of August. While there I'd like to do a short backpacking trip and it seems as if the Timberline trail loop is a good option. There will be four of us in total. Two of the four can be categorized as "experienced" backpackers with several extended trips under their belts. The other two (including me :lol: ) have plenty of experience with day trips but this will be our first overnight backpacking trip. We plan on packing light and moving fast and hope to cover the ~40 miles in two days.

My question for you folks is if you think this is a feasible idea? We initially looked into the Wonderland Trail on Mt. Rainier but due to the difficulty of obtaining wilderness permits decided on day hiking there. I've been reading up on conditions and it seems the first week of August may be an ideal time to hike Timberline.

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: In over my head? Timberline Hike.

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Can you do 20 miles per day? and 4500 feet of elevation gain per day?

It sounds like the snow is beginning to be melted off enough. There'll still be some places where you have to walk on snow. Read up on the trail location in case there are places it's snow covered and hard to find.

There will still be heavy stream flow. Be prepared to get your feet wet.

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » July 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm

retired jerry wrote:Can you do 20 miles per day? and 4500 feet of elevation gain per day?

It sounds like the snow is beginning to be melted off enough. There'll still be some places where you have to walk on snow. Read up on the trail location in case there are places it's snow covered and hard to find.

There will still be heavy stream flow. Be prepared to get your feet wet.
I don't expect any problems with 20 miles/day but the elevation might take it's toll on my legs. Time will tell I guess. I've discussed this with my group and we are going to plan/pack for three days, two nights. If we get it done in two that will be great though.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2017, 3:40 pm

If you start from Timberline Lodge and go clockwise, the worst part would be in the first half - Paradise Park, northern side of the mountain

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » July 17th, 2017, 5:10 pm

retired jerry wrote:If you start from Timberline Lodge and go clockwise, the worst part would be in the first half - Paradise Park, northern side of the mountain
Good info, I will keep this in mind. Thanks! Any particular camping areas better than others?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Dollar Lake is half way around. That's pretty nice. Views up of Barret Spur and Mt Hood.

It's 0.3 miles off the Timberline Trail on an unmarked trail. Assuming you're going clockwise, 0.3 miles after the Pinnacle Ridge Trail there should be a cairn marking it. It's hard to see that there's a trail, kind of overgrown.

drm

Post by drm » July 18th, 2017, 6:29 am

The thing about the Dollar Lake turnoff is that there is a much more visible unmarked trail going up just before it which bypasses the lake in order to get right on Barrett Spur. I assume you would see the lake from above and then could drop down to it.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 19th, 2017, 9:18 am

The snow report for the Timberline Trail has been 4-5 feet of snow above 5,000 feet in several locations. There are several river crossings (Zig Zag, Sandy, Ladd, Coe, Elliot, Newton, White River) including the deep ravine into Elliot Creek which may be an issue.

The Three Sisters Loop (once the snow has melted and the mosquitoes disappear) would be less of a challenge.

drm

Post by drm » July 21st, 2017, 6:41 am

Yeah, I think we're about at that point at which the greatest difficulty switches from a snow-covered trail to rushing water crossings. Note that these change fast. A hot day will result in a harder crossing than a chilly one since it's all snow melt from fairly close above. Snow bridges over rushing water need to be treated very carefully.

spitfire557

Post by spitfire557 » July 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Thank you for the info guys! We will keep a close eye on trail conditions and make a decision from there. With relatively minimal hiking experience I do not want to put ourselves at anymore risk than we already are.