Timberline Trail current conditions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
bostonhiker

Timberline Trail current conditions?

Post by bostonhiker » July 6th, 2017, 8:38 am

Hey new friends!

Flying in tomorrow morning from Boston to hopefully make a 2.5-day loop around the Timberline Trail. Anyone know if there is still snow to traverse? Would micro-spikes or something be advised? Also which is preferable for this trail: sleeping in a hammock or in a bug bivy/tarp combo? I'm very comfortable with both. Any help is much appreciated!

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail current conditions?

Post by retired jerry » July 6th, 2017, 8:52 am

Still a lot of snow

I was just on Timberline Trail/PCT below Paradise Park. People were getting through. Large areas with trail totally covered. Probably the north side of the mountain is worse. You should have a GPS track to follow. Good look crossing all the streams that are full with snow melt.

Better to wait 2 or 4 weeks. or September is good.

bostonhiker

Post by bostonhiker » July 6th, 2017, 9:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I feared...know you guys got a lot of snow this year.

Unfortunately I can't come back in a few weeks...you think I should just skip the north side altogether? I'm experienced but will be solo...I assume micro-spikes would help? Or (please no) snow shoes?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 6th, 2017, 9:17 am

Maybe start at Timberline Lodge and go clockwise. Paradise Park will be early in your trip. The worst part, the north side, will be in the first half. Turn back if it's too difficult.

I wouldn't bring snowshoes or traction devices, but GPS with track for the trail would be handy.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

bostonhiker wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I feared...know you guys got a lot of snow this year.

Unfortunately I can't come back in a few weeks...you think I should just skip the north side altogether? I'm experienced but will be solo...I assume micro-spikes would help? Or (please no) snow shoes?
Lots of snow on the North side, consolidated so easy to walk on but will slow you down. The big problem will be the creeks still full of snow with water running underneath.

I agree with Jerry clockwise and turn back if you have too, I would bring spikes though could be useful in the mornings on some of the steeper slopes.

This is what the minor Gladd Creek looked like last Sunday:
OK if you don't fall through!

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 6th, 2017, 9:54 am

I saw Guy's friend, the lurker, on the Zigzag ridge.

pcg

Post by pcg » July 6th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Guy wrote:... The big problem will be the creeks still full of snow with water running underneath..
Be very careful.

There has been discussion on turns-all-year.com re. weak snow bridges this year due to a not well-consolidated snowpack. There was a [presumed] fatality on Rainier two days ago. Skier fell through a snow bridge over Pebble Creek and has not been recovered.

bostonhiker

Post by bostonhiker » July 6th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Really appreciate all the thoughts. Sounds like it will likely be an out-and-back around the west side and back to timberline. Guess I have an excuse to return to the PNW another year in late August!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 6th, 2017, 7:24 pm

if you're back at Timberline Lodge after going west and turning around because you don't like the snow, you could set off counter clockwise to get some more miles in. The White River is a difficult crossing - expect to get your feet wet, but you probably won't get swept away by the water (meaning be very careful before attempting). Then you go above a ski area but it seems fairly wild.

September is a good month for the Timberline Trail.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm

The Loowit trail around Mt St Helens is quite spectacular too and lower in elevation. Any opinions from those in the know about its condition? (Of course you can’t camp in the blast zone in the northern 1/3 of the mountain so plan for that) The loop is about 10 miles shorter than Timberline. Very spectacular as I’ve done both multiple times.

Mike (aka GoalTech)