Margaret Backcountry Snow [Update]

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Schrauf

Margaret Backcountry Snow [Update]

Post by Schrauf » June 28th, 2017, 6:01 am

Sorry, yet another "is it reasonable to do this trail yet" post.

Got a permit to camp in the Mount Margaret Backcountry over the 4th of July weekend at Margaret Camp, then Shovel Camp, then Dome Camp, knowing it might be too early with the heavy snow year especially near MSH. However, my partner and I are comfortable hiking and camping on snow and will have poles, light "crampons" (the 3/4" spike Katoolahs for hiking shoes) and ice axe/shovel. We are starting at JRO.

Having said that has anyone been up there yet beyond Coldwater Peak, or know from experience if there are a number of steep crux points that are difficult without real mountaineering experience? We've never been. From the topo/gradient maps I've looked at there are a number of steep traverses near Dome, Mt. Margaret and others, but some of those are south facing and likely melted out. And with snow cover there are often easier options off trail. The recent pictures I've seen of the area from St. Helens Lake appear as if the 5k+ foot ridge beyond might be less than 50% snow-covered, but likely more on the backside facing north.

Our itinerary is only 7-8 miles per day and we won't go if the forecast is not benign. The springs might be snowed over but there should be other water sources from the melt, or worst case we can use snow. I figure we can attempt to get to Margaret Camp the first day and if we fail, it's just a good day hike with heavy packs.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Last edited by Schrauf on July 2nd, 2017, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Re: Margaret Backcountry Snow

Post by kepPNW » June 28th, 2017, 6:33 am

We were up at Coldwater Peak (really, the saddle above Saint Helens Lake) the other day (6/23). Just traversing over to the trail up Coldwater was looking pretty ridiculous. Can't even imagine getting past The Dome right now. I was honestly hoping for a JRO->Margaret run sometime in early-to-mid August, seeing what I saw.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » June 29th, 2017, 5:40 am

Thanks Karl. Saw your pictures earlier and those were very helpful (and spectacular).

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » June 30th, 2017, 10:07 am

Mt. Margaret area, image date 6/24/17:

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » June 30th, 2017, 10:31 am

weekend_warrior wrote:Mt. Margaret area, image date 6/24/17:
Nice, is that Google Earth? Usually tough to get something so recent.

I'm aware of the daily sat photos here, but the resolution is horrible: https://go.nasa.gov/2usnmC9

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 30th, 2017, 10:32 am

weekend_warrior wrote:Mt. Margaret area, image date 6/24/17
Nice! What's the source for imagery that recent?
Karl

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » July 2nd, 2017, 8:12 pm

Update - on July 1 hiked to Margaret Camp, about 1/2 mile past The Dome, 7.6 miles in total from Johnston Ridge Observatory. A number of snow traverses, but from first sight of Mt. St. Helens Lake the trail is only about 5% snow covered. All traverses passable with trekking poles only, although several safer with an ice axe. I swapped out the poles several times for the axe more for practice than anything else. Didn't use the crampons because felt comfortable without.

On July 2 decided to hike out rather than continue on to Shovel Lake because we figured there was still a lot of snow north of the ridge, from what we could see, and didn't want to get much of the way there and then have a long hike out all in one day if we came to an obstacle. We turned around at a snow traverse on the switchbacks just west of Mt. Margaret. It seemed passable but more difficult than anything we had done so far, and we had already decided we were probably hiking out that day and felt no need to push it.

At Margaret Camp one site is under several feet of snow, and the 2nd site on the knoll is bare. Dome Camp has both sites snow-free. The night was windy but otherwise great weather. Saw lots of elk and one mountain goat from a bit of distance.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2017, 5:27 am

Wow, good updates! That's a lot of melting in a week! Here's the aerial view on Saturday...
    Coldwater Peak, 7/1/2017.
Karl