Eagle creek loop for my first time in Oregon

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jvar

Eagle creek loop for my first time in Oregon

Post by Jvar » June 26th, 2017, 3:23 pm

My wife and I are visiting Portland and plan on doing a two nighter around the Eagle creek trail area. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Eagle+C ... m0!1m0!3e2
Do you think this is a good trip for our first and maybe last time visiting the area? Any advice on what we should be prepared for? We are avid back packers from San Diego, Ca. I'm looking for advice that might be unique to the area. e.g parking, permits, bears, recent snow etc.

Edit: I want to add that I plan on camping near the following places:

Day 1: Up Eagle Creek
Day 2: Up to Tanner Butte
Day 3: Descend back to the trailhead.

drm

Re: Eagle creek loop for my first time in Oregon

Post by drm » June 26th, 2017, 3:34 pm

This is a good choice, a great choice really. When are you planning to do it? It looks like you want to camp on top of Tanner Butte. That is a great choice and there are some small flat spots there, but there is no water. You can grab some either at Cedar Springs on the way up or do a detour to Tanner Springs, so make sure you bring empty containers for however much you will need.

There are some faint sections of trail going up just before Cedar Springs. They are getting less faint as this route gets more popular, but watch closely there. There is a flat section there and some people are inclined to go farther right/up when they should stay a bit left. Just watch the trail closely there.

Note that the section on Eagle Creek is very popular and crowded on weekends. Campsites and parking spaces can be hard to find then.

The snow is gone and I don't think you will see any bears though I think it's always a good idea to hang food anyway though many people do not. Sometimes the Eagle Ck ford can be a bit tough but it should be dropping fast these days.

You will need a parking permit: $5/day or $30/year if you're doing other hikes in the PNW. The daily versions are for sale at a trailhead kiosk - bring cash. And best to camp farther back near the hatchery as there have been some car breakins up close to the Eagle Ck trailhead.
Last edited by drm on June 26th, 2017, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 26th, 2017, 3:35 pm

If you're only doing one trip in northern Oregon, I'd go to Mt. Hood instead. But that's just me; I prefer mountains to forests.

Either way, don't worry about bears. You just need to keep your food away from rodents.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2017, 3:39 pm

what adam and dean said

if it's a month from now I'd do Mt Hood, but now there's too much snow. Do a tourist stop at Timberline Lodge.

Eagle Creek loop is good - waterfalls, nice views from Tanner Butte

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » June 27th, 2017, 3:24 am

One of my favorite hikes. I've done this 25 mile hike numerous times over the years. It has a bit of everything. My advice for what it's worth is park out front and hike trail 400 over to the old Tanner Butte Trailhead and hike in & coming out Eagle Creek. It is a workout hiking over to the old trailhead then up the switchbacks, but you get a great break if you head out to Wauna Point, (you don't need your packs out there).. There is a camp there at the junction, and much of the year a very small spring back down the trail just before the junction, but don't count on it.

Bears LOL :roll: , I have seen more bears on this walk than others, thou they just scamper away into the brush. The area Dean described is the easiest to loose the trail in.

You have Dublin Lake as possible camp. Tanner Butte for views. I have camped numerous times at/near cedar springs. If your real adventurous the upper Eagle creek drainage is beautiful, but a big workout off trail. (The trail down into Eagle creek stays high). Until headed into lower Eagle Creek. There is a ford there. Heading out EC has the advantage of camping in the back and having the morning with few others around.

drm

Post by drm » June 27th, 2017, 5:57 am

Folks - locals might prefer to go up to Hood when it is snow-free, but for people visiting from dry climates, something like Eagle Creek is the unique offering. We're just jaded with all our rainforests. Especially California, which has the High Sierra, even if not so close to San Diego and not so many glaciers. Eagle Creek is the best choice, though I would recommend weekdays if at all possible.

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 27th, 2017, 8:05 am

drm wrote:This is a good choice, a great choice really. When are you planning to do it? It looks like you want to camp on top of Tanner Butte. That is a great choice and there are some small flat spots there, but there is no water. You can grab some either at Cedar Springs on the way up or do a detour to Tanner Springs, so make sure you bring empty containers for however much you will need.

There are some faint sections of trail going up just before Cedar Springs. They are getting less faint as this route gets more popular, but watch closely there. There is a flat section there and some people are inclined to go farther right/up when they should stay a bit left. Just watch the trail closely there.

Note that the section on Eagle Creek is very popular and crowded on weekends. Campsites and parking spaces can be hard to find then.

The snow is gone and I don't think you will see any bears though I think it's always a good idea to hang food anyway though many people do not. Sometimes the Eagle Ck ford can be a bit tough but it should be dropping fast these days.

You will need a parking permit: $5/day or $30/year if you're doing other hikes in the PNW. The daily versions are for sale at a trailhead kiosk - bring cash. And best to camp farther back near the hatchery as there have been some car breakins up close to the Eagle Ck trailhead.

I will get to the airport on thursday at around 10 a.m. Jump in a rental and straight to the trailhead.

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 27th, 2017, 8:08 am

adamschneider wrote:If you're only doing one trip in northern Oregon, I'd go to Mt. Hood instead. But that's just me; I prefer mountains to forests.
Either way, don't worry about bears. You just need to keep your food away from rodents.
What trail on mount hood would you recommend? I get to the airport at 10am on thursday and have a rental car. I'm looking for two nights of backpacking. moderate to difficult. Thanks.

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 27th, 2017, 8:08 am

retired jerry wrote:what adam and dean said

if it's a month from now I'd do Mt Hood, but now there's too much snow. Do a tourist stop at Timberline Lodge.

Eagle Creek loop is good - waterfalls, nice views from Tanner Butte
I will be there in two weeks. What do you think? too much snow at mount hood?

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 27th, 2017, 8:29 am

Steve20050 wrote:One of my favorite hikes. I've done this 25 mile hike numerous times over the years. It has a bit of everything. My advice for what it's worth is park out front and hike trail 400 over to the old Tanner Butte Trailhead and hike in & coming out Eagle Creek. It is a workout hiking over to the old trailhead then up the switchbacks, but you get a great break if you head out to Wauna Point, (you don't need your packs out there).. There is a camp there at the junction, and much of the year a very small spring back down the trail just before the junction, but don't count on it.

Bears LOL :roll: , I have seen more bears on this walk than others, thou they just scamper away into the brush. The area Dean described is the easiest to loose the trail in.

You have Dublin Lake as possible camp. Tanner Butte for views. I have camped numerous times at/near cedar springs. If your real adventurous the upper Eagle creek drainage is beautiful, but a big workout off trail. (The trail down into Eagle creek stays high). Until headed into lower Eagle Creek. There is a ford there. Heading out EC has the advantage of camping in the back and having the morning with few others around.
I found everything you mentioned on my map including the actual Wauna Point but I could not find a marked trail leading to Wauna Point on my map. Can you help me with that? Thanks. Never mind! Just found it! Thanks for all the input.