Eagle creek loop for my first time in Oregon

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jvar

Re: Eagle creek loop for my first time in Oregon

Post by Jvar » June 29th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Chase wrote:the ford is thigh high currently and I recommend poles. No need for a waterproof bag.
Thank you. I'm assuming water is pretty plentiful on this trail. Are their better spots than others to filter some water? What areas would you recommend refilling at?

drm

Post by drm » June 29th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Going CW, once you pass Cedar Springs, there is no water on the trail along the ridge for many miles. Tanner Springs is not too far off trail and should have good supply of good water. Dublin Lake is a few hundred feet down so a bit of a nuisance if you're not going there anyway, and it's stagnant to boot and kind of grungy, but water it is. So best to stock up at either Big Cedar or Tanner Springs. I think I mentioned this early in the thread. Along Eagle Creek there are many tributaries and so there I wouldn't even carry any water, just get some when I need it. Much different up on the ridge.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 29th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Steve20050 wrote: As for the metal. I tried it years later when in Sequoia Park and the bear charged the table. Got his paws on the table and took a swipe at me. I fled with him running up behind me in a fake charge to get me out of camp.
:shock: And you still go hiking in bear country? I don't think I could muster the courage.

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 29th, 2017, 7:48 pm

drm wrote:Going CW, once you pass Cedar Springs, there is no water on the trail along the ridge for many miles. Tanner Springs is not too far off trail and should have good supply of good water. Dublin Lake is a few hundred feet down so a bit of a nuisance if you're not going there anyway, and it's stagnant to boot and kind of grungy, but water it is. So best to stock up at either Big Cedar or Tanner Springs. I think I mentioned this early in the thread. Along Eagle Creek there are many tributaries and so there I wouldn't even carry any water, just get some when I need it. Much different up on the ridge.
Thank you for all your help. If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain on a few more things. I'm under the impression that no camping or hiking permits are required ahead of time. I think there is a parking permit and hiking permit form and kiosk that works under an honor system? Also what are the camp fire regulations? Am I allowed to gather wood and start a small camp fire? Here in California campfires are strictly forbidden in most areas so if I can't have a fire it's no big deal. I just want to know what to bring. Also where would you park as to avoid possible break-ins? I will have a rental car. Someone mentioned parking farther back near the hatchery? Is this (http://imgur.com/a/QXPbo) where they mean? Thanks again.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2017, 8:01 pm

yes, that's the place to park

the hiking permit is free, from a box next to the trail

the parking permit is something like $5 a day or $30 a year. I've bought them in Cascade Locks nearby. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r6/p ... width=full gives locations but is down now. I think you can pay the daily fee at a box at the parking area.

I don't think you can build fires on Eagle Creek. There are a lot of people there. You can build fires elsewhere on the loop.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2017, 5:55 am

site back up

you can buy a permit at Columbia Market in Cascade Locks, about 5 miles past Eagle Creek

Jvar

Post by Jvar » June 30th, 2017, 7:25 am

retired jerry wrote:site back up

you can buy a permit at Columbia Market in Cascade Locks, about 5 miles past Eagle Creek
Thanks for all your help! I think I'm all set for my trip now. I'm very excited to finally check out portland and the surrounding area.

hikerdude2009

Post by hikerdude2009 » July 6th, 2017, 10:22 am

I agree it's a nice choice. I've done it about 30 times. A few things:

As stated before park at fishery parking. If you're on the weekend get there very early before 7:30am or risk no parking. But never get there after 9:00 during the week in the Summer.

Do not rely on Tanner Springs it's been dry for a few years now. Fill up at the first camp springs (about 100 yards before the camp if its running) Dublin Lake and then Cedar Swamp.

Tanner Butte can be windy and cold at night in the Summer -- like 35-45 degrees cold. Be prepared for that. Last August it was 90 degrees at 5:00pm and 30 at 2:00am on Tanner summit.

There's a summit camp site, but I don't recommend it unless it's calm conditions or you're bivying. Its a 350' drop if your tent, sleeping bag, etc tumbles over. Camp on the shoulder.

Avoid the lunacy of the Eagle Creek crowds going in so start at the Tanner Butte trail head. You'll have walk on trail #400 West for about a mile and then a forest service road for about 1.25 miles but worth it.

From that point bring enough water for 22 switchbacks and 1600 feet elevation gain from the tanner trailhead to the first campsite -- a good place to rest. The spring just before that was dry last year so don't count on it. Those aquifers are still recovering from drought.

You'll then start walking up a ridgeline. This is where folks typically drop off quick. It's deceptive in its steepness and people push it too hard sometimes -- it's another 1000 foot climb to Dublin Lake.

Do not under any circumstances drop down the Tanner cut off trail. It is evil. Continue about 400 feet to the Dublin lake trail which will be marked on the left with a small sign on a tree. It's a steep drop so if you're not staying there ditch your pack and get water here -- a lot of it.

From that point you're on an old logging road. Watch your footing here much of the trail is obscured by bear grass and it's rocky.

Fog Drip
This area particularly past Dublin Lake is a rain forest and much of that water comes from fog drip that forms in the evening. That area of trail is not maintained well so you'll be in waste high brush at times and bear grass for miles.

On a clear sunny day in the 80's I have been as wet and cold as if it were march and raining steadily. My buddy and I could not stop laughing because honestly the most innocuous tiny plant would dump a cup of water on you, and there are 10,000's of those.

We call it the "car wash" and in all seriousness it was like one. I was emptying water out of my shoes every half mile or so and was drenched to the bone. We were getting mildly hypothermic -- in 85 degree weather.

Walking through bear grass is akin to beach sand so account for that also energy wise.

So great trail but yeah plan accordingly. Oregon's a different animal hiking wise and we're masochists here so take this trail seriously. Past Tanner butte is very remote.

If you miss the drop down to Cedar -- stop and backtrack. Do not get lost in the Bull Run Watershed. You will be on TV for all the wrong reasons.

Enjoy your hike.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » July 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm

not sure if the OP saw this, but the trail is currently closed due to a fire. worth keeping an eye on

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25675