Is July 1 too early for the 3 Sisters Loop? (Snow?)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Nikksmith

Is July 1 too early for the 3 Sisters Loop? (Snow?)

Post by Nikksmith » June 25th, 2017, 3:07 pm

With the recent heat wave, I'm hoping the Three Sisters Loop will be clear enough of snow to hike next weekend. I've looked online for cams or recent trail conditions, but the best I can find is snow levels in McKenzie, which is none, but the trail is at a higher altitude than this. Can anyone speak to the current conditions there?

retired jerry

Re: Is July 1 too early for the 3 Sisters Loop? (Snow?)

Post by retired jerry » June 25th, 2017, 3:28 pm

last year June 28 I did the loop. About 12 miles of snow on the west side. That was a low snow year. This is a heavy snow year.

wait a couple weeks

You could do it now but finding the trail would be difficult. Having a GPS track or familiarity with route would be good. Depending on temperature, you could have postholing or icy.

Last year there was no snow on east side. Maybe you could do a loop around Broken Top or something. You'll still encounter snow. Last year there was snow above Green Lakes most of the way down to Park Meadow which is on the Broken Top loop

Nikksmith

Post by Nikksmith » June 26th, 2017, 9:51 am

Thanks so much for the advice. I have not done the loop before and I think the experience will be adventurous enough without the added challenge of snow.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 1:36 pm

On Saturday, I did the Twin Lakes Loop (Mt. Hood) and there were quite a few patches of snow in the forest and even one on the trail. The snow presented absolutely no difficulty in walking the loop; however, I have never seen snow along this route this late in the year. I suspect the patches are still there today...after the heatwave. This year, I suspect other trails in the Cascades will have snow long after the normal melting time.

Nikksmith

Post by Nikksmith » June 26th, 2017, 1:39 pm

I called the Forest Ranger in Sisters to ask when they thought the trail might be doable and they said to give it another month. Most of the trail is still under snow with lots of runoff and a high avalanche risk. I'll shoot for the first week of August instead.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » June 28th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Nikksmith wrote:I called the Forest Ranger in Sisters to ask when they thought the trail might be doable and they said to give it another month. Most of the trail is still under snow with lots of runoff and a high avalanche risk. I'll shoot for the first week of August instead.
Great call getting in touch with the ranger station and I'm glad they could help you with advice :) you'll be much better off in August. Enjoy!
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

rickc

Post by rickc » June 29th, 2017, 10:18 am

Going to be doing the loop starting at the pole creek trailhead tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nikksmith

Post by Nikksmith » June 29th, 2017, 10:22 am

rickc wrote:Going to be doing the loop starting at the pole creek trailhead tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.
Oh, wow! Good luck! I look forward to hearing about it.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » June 30th, 2017, 10:05 am

lots of snow still in the Three Sisters Wilderness. probably doable in another month

image date: 6/28/17

Chase

Post by Chase » June 30th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Dude got lost there yesterday and SAR was called out to find him. He's ok now.

http://kval.com/outdoors/search-in-prog ... dian-trail