Eagle Cap Loop July 25 too early

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jkokbaker

Eagle Cap Loop July 25 too early

Post by jkokbaker » June 25th, 2017, 10:52 am

Im looking for a 4-6 day trip the last week of July. We had plans to go to Yosemite but it sounds like it might be too snowy, Tioga Pass is still closed. Do you think the Wallowas will be mostly snow free the last week of July, or too soon this year? I am thinking of doing the East Eagle - Imnaha Loop.

Aimless

Re: Eagle Cap Loop July 25 too early

Post by Aimless » June 25th, 2017, 11:27 am

I think you'd have a fighting chance to manage such a loop in late July this year, but it will be a chance, not a guarantee, and would require a continuation of hot weather. If I were you, I'd plan a second option in Eagle Cap, then check out trip reports and Snotel readings as it gets into mid-July. The main problem would be the upper approaches to the high passes in the 8000 ft range. The other problem will be mosquitoes. :(

jkokbaker

Post by jkokbaker » June 25th, 2017, 11:45 am

I've checked snotel, Aneroid Lake at 7,400 feet elevation reports 15"of snow and Mt Howard at 7,910 feet reports no snow since June 17. Are those the closest 2 snootily to that area, should I be looking at something different?

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 25th, 2017, 11:51 am

Yeah, no guarantee, but I'm planning a trip myself. I'll be doing a West Eagle loop. Maybe some collective finger crossing will help.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 25th, 2017, 12:01 pm

should I be looking at something different?

Aneroid is a better gauge of snow melt pace than Mt Howard is, but it, too, will read zero long before late July. If you are familiar with Eagle Cap from other years, you could try comparing the Aneroid SWE graph of 2017 to other years when you've hiked there. That will give you an idea of how this year compares to a more normal or sub-normal year.

drm

Post by drm » June 25th, 2017, 1:49 pm

jkokbaker wrote:I am thinking of doing the East Eagle - Imnaha Loop.
Which means you have to cross Polaris Pass at the farthest part of the loop? This is one of the scarier passes to do with snow on it as it has a steep and very tall hill with switchbacks on it and melts fairly late. We've had reports of people getting there and turning around. Unless you have gear for boot traction and are comfortable depending on it when it really counts, late July would be pushing it this year for this route, especially since it is so far out from your start.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 25th, 2017, 2:42 pm

do the loop in the other direction so you get to the sketchiest part in the first half of the loop

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 25th, 2017, 9:06 pm

I am thinking of doing the East Eagle - Imnaha Loop.

Which means you have to cross Polaris Pass at the farthest part of the loop?

As I understand the East Eagle-Imnaha loop, it does not cross Polaris Pass, but it does cross Horton Pass (~8450 ft.) from the East Eagle Creek watershed into the Lakes Basin, loops around Eagle Cap, then up and over Glacier Pass (~8500 ft.), then Hawkins Pass (~8500 ft.), down the south fork of the Imnaha R., then up to Crater Lake and back down to East Eagle Creek. None of these high passes would be easy with a solid snowpack, even with traction devices.

bwells1989

Post by bwells1989 » June 27th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Attempting East Eagle-Imnaha July 3-7. Not expecting to get over Horton Pass, but going to see what we can do. Taking K-10 spikes, poles, & axe.

Forest service in Joseph says 6ish miles up most trails hit significant snow, but has next to no data on East Eagle Trail #1910. Aneroid Lake is at 10'' as of today (going down ~1-3 every day), but unsure of the reliability of this depth measurement as Horton Pass gets much higher up. Also assuming snow will be compacted and provide some flotation. Most likely the lakes are still snow covered though, especially the Lakes Basin.

Not going counterclockwise on this route as I would rather slowly gain elevation in the snow instead of the rapid elevation gain going up the Kettle Creek route (Crater Lake) first.

Planning on deferring to Elkhorn Crest Trail or Strawberry Mountains if we turn back. I can give an update how this goes if we attempt the loop.

-Regards

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » June 30th, 2017, 10:00 am

lots of snow still in the lakes basin area

image date: 6/27/17

Aneroid Lake area:
image date: 6/28/17