Snow in Gorge or Roaring River area

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
matimeo

Snow in Gorge or Roaring River area

Post by matimeo » June 18th, 2017, 10:10 am

Planning a backpacking trip with the kids this coming weekend. Does anybody know what the snow level is in the Roaring River Wilderness? My alternate would be Eagle Creek, maybe do the loop with Tanner. I read a report that it was clear, but I wanted to make sure that the Eagle Creek trail is clear all the way through after that rough winter.

I checked a couple of different sites about the snow level, but they seem to contradict each other:

Shows those areas free of snow: https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/Sierra ... lon=-121.7

Shows them still covered: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0

RobFromRedland

Re: Snow in Gorge or Roaring River area

Post by RobFromRedland » June 18th, 2017, 10:44 am

I was up on Old Baldy a few weeks ago and ran into significant snow around 4000' - yesterday I was farther south and ran into significant snow around 4500' (but only in places). I'd say generally speaking the snow level is about 4500' right now. You might see a bit below that, but anything about 4500' I would expect to see at least intermittent deep patches of snow.

What trail were you thinking of doing in the Roaring River Wilderness? If you were thinking of going to Frazier turnaround, I'm almost certain that is still not accessible. Even going by way of Shellrock Lake I would guess is still not accessible at this point. I'd think 2-3 more weeks before either of those would be melted out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

matimeo

Post by matimeo » June 18th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I was thinking of doing the Serene Lake loop up there, but come via Hideaway Lake/Shellrock Lake.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 18th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I just checked the map, and you'll have to drive to 4000' to the shellrock lake trailhead, which could still have snow. My guess is it would be iffy if you could get there right now.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

matimeo

Post by matimeo » June 18th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Which map did you consult? It looked like one showed snow and the other didn't- wasn't sure which one to believe.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 19th, 2017, 4:26 am

I was just looking at topo maps - looking at what elevation you'll need to drive thru to get to the trailhead. I think it imight be possible to get there, but I think it just as likely that you'll get stopped by some drifts across the road.

See this topic for an example. Stopped at 3700'.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 19th, 2017, 10:11 pm

On Saturday (6/17) i hiked up the dry ridge trail to grouse point, then continued on to the intersection with the serene lake trail. Very small minor snow patches on the grouse point trail. Looks like more snow if you descended into the lake basin though. Two thumbs up for the roaring river wilderness :mrgreen: