Best time of day (morning/afternoon) to visit Oneanta Gorge?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
proxie

Best time of day (morning/afternoon) to visit Oneanta Gorge?

Post by proxie » June 18th, 2017, 7:42 am

Last time I did this was on a weekend and it was packed with folks.

This time, I was planning to go on a weekday towards end of June. Trying to hit a day when the temperature high is at least 80+.

Ignoring the possibility of crowds on a weekday, considering water temperature and lighting for photography, is there a best "time of day" to visit the falls? Morning, noon, afternoon? I figured afternoon would be better as it'd be warmer.

Don Nelsen

Re: Best time of day (morning/afternoon) to visit Oneanta Go

Post by Don Nelsen » June 18th, 2017, 10:31 am

proxie wrote:Last time I did this was on a weekend and it was packed with folks.

This time, I was planning to go on a weekday towards end of June. Trying to hit a day when the temperature high is at least 80+.

Ignoring the possibility of crowds on a weekday, considering water temperature and lighting for photography, is there a best "time of day" to visit the falls? Morning, noon, afternoon? I figured afternoon would be better as it'd be warmer.
I've noticed that the sun shines directly into the canyon between about 10:30 and 11:30 so you have the best light. Even on a cool day, having the sunshine on you is nice. Maybe not the best for photography though? The water level is down now so once across the log jam, you can hike the rest of the way to the falls. There is one waist deep pool but not too bad and not far. Might be even lower water level now, this was a week ago.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

proxie

Post by proxie » June 18th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Got it, thanks!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 18th, 2017, 1:21 pm

When I did Oneonta, I saw, what, I think 3 people. It was maybe about 5:00pm, roughly. It was 10 degrees F. Might be a few months before you get that opportunity again. ;)

(For years to come, I'll be known as that guy who won't shut up about hiking Oneonta Gorge with dry feet :lol: )

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 19th, 2017, 1:55 pm

I thought I read Oneonta Gorge was closed due to the two log jams.

proxie

Post by proxie » June 19th, 2017, 8:57 pm

BigBear wrote:I thought I read Oneonta Gorge was closed due to the two log jams.
I think you're right... didn't realize that... just googled it --> http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... r_fla.html

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

proxie wrote:
BigBear wrote:I thought I read Oneonta Gorge was closed due to the two log jams.
I think you're right... didn't realize that... just googled it --> http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... r_fla.html
Last week there were dozens of people in the canyon between the logjam and the falls. If it's closed, no one seems to have paid any attention. In any event, there is little water impounded behind the logjam and I believe the concern was that the high runoff water pressure might cause the jam to break suddenly. The jam is still a danger spot, of course, but the same as its been for years, more or less.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Post by Guy » June 20th, 2017, 3:11 pm

proxie wrote:Last time I did this was on a weekend and it was packed with folks.

Water is going to be much the same Temperature if it's 65 or 80 out and in the Afternoon Sun doesn't get into the canyon anyway so while a hot Sunny day may be a more pleasing time temperature wise a cloudy cool day may induce a lot less people to go there after work. That's my theory anyway, I'll let you know how it works out soon :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 20th, 2017, 4:08 pm

If you don't want to share Oneonta Gorge with a zillion people, go at sunrise. I went once at mid-day on a Monday in September and there were still 100 people there.

proxie

Post by proxie » June 21st, 2017, 5:23 am

I called a Columbia River Gorge visitor station who said the trail was technically still closed. Would be interesting to see if there's yellow tape or something barring the entrance and if people are just ignoring it. This upcoming weekend is supposed to be hot, so I bet tons of people will attempt it without knowing beforehand the trail is technically closed.