Suggestions for less crowded trails around Portland?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mag381

Re: Suggestions for less crowded trails around Portland?

Post by mag381 » June 16th, 2017, 7:11 pm

BigBear wrote:I'm not certain who the last comment was directed towards, since none of the verbiage quoted was in fact quoted by anyone who already posted a comment.

If it was directed at myself, it is not merited since my comment was not meant to be mean-spirited but simply a fact check. If you are looking for an A-level hike (1,500 ft of gain or less) in the Gorge and you are seeking a similar hike without crowds, I do not believe such a place exists in 2017.

Easy hikes with scenic surroundings, close to a big city, are what more hikers seek than there are parking spaces. Yes, it's discouraging. Very discouraging, and I have been very discouraged in the past few years after having hiked so many trails over the past three decades in relative solitude.

Many of the hikes mentioned are C-level hikes with 3,000 or 4,000 feet of elevation gain, which is far beyond the requested parameters. Other suggestions involve longer drives, but no less crowds.

Grassy Knoll, for instance, is a great wildflower hike this time of year, and in spite of the bumpy road, lack of trail signs directing you into unfamiliar territory, the lack of organized hikes and trip reports, somehow the trailhead overflows.

The sad fact is that the best hikes have been written up in guidebooks, listed on the oregonhikers.org website with GPS coordinates, and receive the most posts as a result of their beauty. Finding a worthy hike close to town and devoid of people has become an impossible challenge since the internet came on line. The old days of buying maps and researching a route on your own is a distant memory. Even an old guy like me, when he wants to print up a trip report for the group, just goes online and borrows from what someone else has written.

Best of luck on your quest for the hike you are seeking. I honestly do not know of any published trails (and I've hiked most all of the trails) that will fit your criteria.

I dont mind running into other people on the trails, or seeing big groups doing their thing. Honestly, Im just trying to find a spot where Im not going to need to spend an hour just driving in circles trying to find a spot to park. But thanks for your insight.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 19th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Your criteria were (1) Columbia Gorge, (2) not a long drive (Saddle Mtn was too far), and (3) A-level hike (1,500 feet of gain or less).

Here's a quick sampling of trailheads:

Angels Rest: 4.6 miles & 1540 feet, but parking lot fills
Wahkeena: varying options including loop 5.6 miles & 1560 feet, but parking lot fills
Multnomah: varying options, but parking lot fills
Horsetail/Oneonta: 4.5 miles & 950 feet, but both ends have parking issues
Elowah/McCord: 3.0 miles & 500 feet, but parking lot and road fill
Wahclella: 1.8 miles & 300 feet, but parking lot fills
Eagle Creek: varying distances, but parking lot fills
Bridge of the Gods: Dry Creek Falls, not sure about parking lot in the summer
Herman Creek: various options, but parking lot fills
Starvation Creek: various options, but parking lot fills
Lausmann: Wygant-Chetwoot in deplorable condition
Mosier Tunnel: heavy bicycle use
Memaloose Hills: parking lot fills, no trail signage, best hiked in May
Rowena Plateau: best hiked in May for flowers, not certain of conditions in the summer

On the Washington side:
Cape Horn: I believe this trail also has a full lot int he summer
Beacon Rock/Trail of the Winds: very full lot, very quick
Bonneville Dam: Gillette Lake 5.8 miles & 600 feet (poison oak) this may be a possibility for parking
Wind Mountain: 4 miles & 1200 feet, this may also be a possibility for parking but there was a lot of blowdown in recent years
Dog Mtn: double the elevation you seek and the parking lot is way over filled
Weldon Wagon Road: 6 miles & 1000 feet, best hiked in early May and the limited parking does become an issue (surprisingly)
Catherine Creek Syncline: best hiked in April/May but all 3 trailheads get filled
Klickitat River Trail: multiple access points and you may find something along the highway, but it gets hot
Lyle Cherry Orchard: 5 miles & 900 feet (poison oak) best hiked in April/May

There are other trailheads, but as a novice hiker you would need to do some research for routes due to a lack of signage that the trails even exist. It has indeed become frustrating that the parking availability has disappeared in recent years. I too feel your pain.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 19th, 2017, 3:13 pm

mag381 wrote:I dont mind running into other people on the trails, or seeing big groups doing their thing. Honestly, Im just trying to find a spot where Im not going to need to spend an hour just driving in circles trying to find a spot to park.
I'm curious what time of day you're headed out. There are many reasons to avoid the major trails in the gorge on a summer weekend, but if parking is the primary issue, I've always found parking available in the lower lot at Wahkeena well into the morning. Maybe the first and easiest thing to try is just adjusting your timing?

Really though, I think your best and happiest option would be to explore out-and-back trails that are longer or higher than what you think you might want. There's nothing that says you have to go all the way to the "end."

A copy of Sullivan is a handy thing to peruse, as well.

ed: "In the gorge" wasn't actually part of your criteria, right? Just an example of what type of trails you've been doing and what's a good driving distance?

mag381

Post by mag381 » August 31st, 2017, 10:00 am

Sorry for the long delay here. Been stuck at work with some long days/weeks...

Right, Im not stuck to the gorge and I dont mind trails that are longer or higher. Its just the kind of hike Ive been doing. Ive done the Tillamook Trailhead and Saddle Mountain too.

Its mostly down to driving distance. Driving more than 2 hours to get to a hike is kind of a bummer, especially since I like to go once a week. Its a lot of gas to burn.

I was heading to Wakeena earlier in the morning, and that wasnt too bad.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2017, 11:15 am

"One question. The site mentions trail difficulty. I think Im used to moderate difficulty trails. But what makes a trail "difficult?""

I don't think that's well defined

Some combination of length, elevation gain, and the type of surface of trail, like a paved trail is easy and a rocky trail is more difficult

Lots of good ideas here about specific hikes

mid week, off season, and bad weather makes trails less crowded