Bald Mountain from Top Spur - trail snow?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
somegeek

Bald Mountain from Top Spur - trail snow?

Post by somegeek » June 13th, 2017, 11:04 am

Pondering taking my sons up to Bald Mountain from Top Spur this weekend however don't know what this trail is like this time of year? Is there still snow here or is this dry trail?

Thanks in advance!

somegeek

justpeachy

Re: Bald Mountain from Top Spur - trail snow?

Post by justpeachy » June 13th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I saw a May 22 report on Facebook that said the road was snow-covered three miles back from the trailhead. That was three weeks ago and we've had some warm weather, so the road might be melted out enough to get to the TH now. The trail is most certainly not melted out yet, though.

somegeek

Post by somegeek » June 13th, 2017, 2:55 pm

justpeachy wrote:I saw a May 22 report on Facebook that said the road was snow-covered three miles back from the trailhead. That was three weeks ago and we've had some warm weather, so the road might be melted out enough to get to the TH now. The trail is most certainly not melted out yet, though.
Thanks much for the report! Will push this out a few weeks I guess. :)

somegeek

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » June 13th, 2017, 4:19 pm

I was up there last Wednesday (6/7) and you can drive up to Top Spur (both ways. I came up from the Sandy River side and out via Lolo. Watch out for the ruts in the road on the Sandy side for the first half mile or so. They are big enough to swallow a small car.). Seems like the issue now with the gravel part of the road is the brush has taken over. Almost to narrow now for a vehicle to fit though.

Anyway, other then the snow on the side of the gravel part of the road it was clear. Still gobs of snow on the trail though. I went left (towards Carin Basin) instead of right so didn't actually go over to Bald Mt but I am guessing that the part of the trail where it opens up and you can get a view is clear of snow. Seemed like the East facing slopes had lots of snow and the West facing slopes were just about clear.
DSC02510b.JPG
Seemed to be some issues with the sign-in box.
DSC02512c.jpg
The McGee Creek sign is under this some where.

f1209

Post by f1209 » June 14th, 2017, 11:02 pm

I went up to the top of Bald Mountain this evening. There are a few patches of snow, but nothing major.

Here are a few shots to give you an idea of what to expect. You can see the difference from bushwhackers shots. Most of it has melted.

Potholes on the Road:

Snow on the side of the road:

Just a little snow on the trail:

Hood, playing Peek-a-boo in the clouds, as seen from the top of Bald Mountain

The trail junction:

somegeek

Post by somegeek » June 15th, 2017, 7:19 am

Thanks much for the report! Appreciate it. Might have this on our hit list this weekend afterall. :)

somegeek

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 15th, 2017, 10:08 am

Sorry to read about these road conditions.

From the other thread it sounds as if the brush issue is largely from the snow pushing it down, and should resolve once that melts (and/or maybe once enough vehicles go through).

But those potholes... I keep seeing, "big enough to swallow a small car." Well, I have a small car! That pic looks too wide to steer around cleanly, but are they as deep as that looks? That is, could one roll slowly through without bottoming out? I can't really remember what that road was like last year, but that pic looks pretty memorable, so I'm thinking it must be a good deal worse.

Any hope of that road seeing any TLC?

Guy

Post by Guy » June 15th, 2017, 2:40 pm

squidvicious wrote:Sorry to read about these road conditions.

From the other thread it sounds as if the brush issue is largely from the snow pushing it down, and should resolve once that melts (and/or maybe once enough vehicles go through).
Yes it should but a pass with a brush hog would still be good!
squidvicious wrote: But those potholes... I keep seeing, "big enough to swallow a small car." Well, I have a small car! That pic looks too wide to steer around cleanly, but are they as deep as that looks?
Yes :)

There are far less pot holes of you drive in the long way from the top of Lolo pass.
squidvicious wrote: Any hope of that road seeing any TLC?
That sure would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath! look what state the Burnt lake road had to get into before it received any maintenance.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 16th, 2017, 9:15 am

Guy wrote:There are far less pot holes of you drive in the long way from the top of Lolo pass.
Thanks for the info. I've never gone that way, so that'll be a new adventure. But I think it'll still be a while before I'm out that way, so I'll have my eye on trip reports. Anymore I'm as interested in what they say about roads as trails.

Maybe USFS should change their fee requirements to a $5 forest pass, or a 5 gallon bucket of gravel, to be thrown in the biggest hole you find on your way in!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 16th, 2017, 9:20 am

squidvicious wrote:
Guy wrote:There are far less pot holes of you drive in the long way from the top of Lolo pass.
Thanks for the info. I've never gone that way, so that'll be a new adventure.
In the past (when potholes weren't much of an issue), I've always gone in via the lower, shorter road and out via the more open Lolo Pass road; that way you get the nice evening views of Hood on your way home.