Oregon Dunes - backcountry camping question

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
romann

Oregon Dunes - backcountry camping question

Post by romann » May 26th, 2017, 9:58 pm

I may head down to the coast for 2-3 days this weekend, thought it would be cool to spend a night in Oregon Dunes. But the more I research it, the more confusing it gets, with sand plower seasonal closures March 15 through September 15. Is the only choice is to camp in areas open to OHVs (is camping restricted there as well)?

Also, is it easy is to park overnight in that area? Can someone suggest any trailheads/street parking where they allow to leave car at night?

Thanks!

Long list of restricted areas on FS page
ALL DRY SAND AREAS ARE CLOSED to entry in the areas listed below, except on designated trails. You may see portions of dry sand beaches and dunes roped off to protect known critical nesting areas, but dry sand both in and out of the ropes is closed.

Map of hiker only & ATV areas

pdxgene

Re: Oregon Dunes - backcountry camping question

Post by pdxgene » May 27th, 2017, 9:32 pm

One of the hiking books I have, 120 Hikes on the Oregon Coast by Bonnie Henderson has Chapter 81 starting like this...

"Threemile Lake is also accessible from the south, via a shorter trail, and the quiet beach at the lake's south end is tempting for overnight camping. But be aware that the trailhead is on a remote road not regularly patrolled, and vandalism (especially to cars left overnight) is more likely to be a problem here than at more well-used trailheads."

I haven't used this end but coming to Threemile Lake from the more used north trailhead right off Highway 101 I've seen fire rings and obvious evidence that campers have used some of the high hills near the lake.

Also the book looks to be 15+ years old from the publishing date...

romann

Re: Oregon Dunes - backcountry camping question

Post by romann » June 5th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Thanks Gene,

I ended up hiking closer home (tried to call ranger stations and visitor center in the Dunes area to check the rules, but all were closed on Saturday :roll: ), but will keep Threemile Lake on my list for a sunny fall/winter weekend. That looks like a nice place.