Visiting Portland in July, need some Backpacking suggestions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jvar

Visiting Portland in July, need some Backpacking suggestions

Post by Jvar » May 24th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Hello everyone. I'm visiting Portland in July for 4 days and I'm hoping to spend two nights backpacking. I will have a rental car. My wife and I are avid backpackers and are prepared for a challenge. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are some criteria I'm hoping to meet with this trip:
1. moderate to difficult
2. 2 nights of backpacking
3. loop (I won't have a way to shuttle)
4. Scenic (different than what I can see in Southern California)
5. Not too far from Portland. My flight lands at 10:15 A.M and plan on driving out to the trail from the airport.

I found these two hikes using the "Find a Hike" Feature but want to get some suggestions from people familiar with the area.
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike

Thanks again for your help!

alpinista55

Re: Visiting Portland in July, need some Backpacking suggest

Post by alpinista55 » May 25th, 2017, 2:57 pm

One of my favorite loops (popsicle loop) is on the North side of Mt. Hood. I hike up Vista Ridge trail to the Timberline Trail, then go East on the Timberline Trail to Elk Cove for camp one. Day two I backtrack slightly to the unmaintained Dollar Lake Trail, and follow it up to Dollar Lake, and then continue up on a use trail to the lower level of Barrett Spur. Drop packs and ascend to Barrett Spurs summit for unbelievable views of the North Face of the mountain and the Coe Icefall. Pick up your packs and follow use trails and morainal ridges down into Cairn Basin for camp 2. Day three begins with a morning stroll up to McNeil Point for more great views of the West Face of the mountain, the Sandy Glacier and River valley. Then back to Cairn Basin, pack up and descend into Eden Park and rejoin the Vista Ridge Trail for return to the car.

This is a high snow year, so expect some (or lots of) snow, but by mid-July should be doable. The cross-country ramble on Barrett Spur is the absolute best of Mt. Hood. Here is a link to a CalTopo map:

https://caltopo.com/m/HB7V

Here are some additional references for Barrett Spur:
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... dd-on_Hike

drm

Post by drm » May 25th, 2017, 3:26 pm

When in July? Some areas will probably have a lot of snow till late July. If it is early July, you might want to stick with the Columbia River Gorge and do one of the countless loops that passes by Wahtum Lake. Herman Ck - PCT/Benson Plateau for example, about 22 miles.

Alpinistas route would be good once the snow has melted. Note that our volcanoes are not great for loops of that distance, they would tend to be out-and-backs.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 25th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I was on some of the Bell Creek Loop last Saturday and all the snow is gone and the trail is in great shape with only a few easy downed logs to cross. Bell Creek is one of my favorites and I'm planning to do it again on the 3rd. The old-growth is about the best anywhere and among the biggest anywhere in the gorge - and that's saying something. For one who wishes to do an overnight, there are many, many places for campsites along the way and it is never crowded.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm

alpinista55 wrote:One of my favorite loops (popsicle loop) is on the North side of Mt. Hood.
The north side of Hood will probably still be buried in snow in July. Above 5000', this year is very comparable to 2012, and the Timberline Trail didn't melt out until August that year.