Seven and a Half Mile Camp Memorial Day Weekend?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
RickAndZena

Seven and a Half Mile Camp Memorial Day Weekend?

Post by RickAndZena » May 23rd, 2017, 6:38 pm

Would it be downright stupid to fight the crowds to try to get a spot at Seven and a Half Mile Camp up Eagle Creek Saturday or Sunday night this weekend? Obviously Punch Bowl and such will be slammed, but does that sound super unpleasant? Looking for a 12 to 18 mile backpack and I've been wanting to fly-fish that part of the creek as well.

texasbb

Re: Seven and a Half Mile Camp Memorial Day Weekend?

Post by texasbb » May 23rd, 2017, 8:00 pm

To each his own, but it's hard for me to imagine anything less appealing: masses of unwashed masses and bright, sunny, contrasty, rain forest view-destroying weather.

drm

Post by drm » May 24th, 2017, 6:51 am

It will probably be the most crowded day of the entire year as the crowds will be able to spread out farther once other areas melt. Given the forecast for nice weather, I think the only way to get solitude this weekend without driving far to southeast OR is to go up into the snow.

TodF

Post by TodF » May 25th, 2017, 7:03 am

We hiked Eagle Creek up a little past Twister Falls (Tunnel Falls) on Sunday (5/21), and on the trail we passed a couple dozen backpackers who were coming down. I don't know where they were all camping, of course. But I think you could count on sharing space with others, to put it mildly.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 25th, 2017, 7:57 am

Herman Creek would be better, although also crowded. There are more trails fanning out to disperse people.