4 Day Backpacking Ideas in Olympic (June)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DeepSpace000

4 Day Backpacking Ideas in Olympic (June)

Post by DeepSpace000 » May 22nd, 2017, 9:23 pm

My friends and I are relatively new to the area. We have a few random days off in mid-late June and would like to squeeze in some backpacking. Not being from the PNW, we've never had the pleasure of exploring Olympic National Park and want to check it out.

We'd like to spend 4 days/3 nights backpacking, either on one longer hike or two smaller ones, but aren't quite sure which to do. We're all pretty moderately skilled hikers, but would like to avoid snow.

So far I've heard some hikes like Hoh Rainforest and Enchanted Valley recommended, but those both sound like they get pretty mobbed from what I've read and seclusion/avoiding crowds is definitely a priority.

What are some other hikes I can check out that would make for a fun trip?

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: 4 Day Backpacking Ideas in Olympic (June)

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2017, 5:50 am

I just got back from the Olympics. Couple nights at Sand Point on the beach. That is pretty busy in June.

I spent a night at Enchanted Valley trailhead and walked a couple miles up the trail, yeah, that is a bit of a mob scene. There are quite a few campsites.

Those valleys on the east side are probably less busy, like Dosewallips. It's in the fieldguide click on "field guide" at upper left.

Call the visitor center at Port Angeles

Fishinandgold

Post by Fishinandgold » May 23rd, 2017, 5:58 am

Also there's a really great app for Android made by I believe REI. I've been using it to plan a trip for this fall. I just checked, it's called REI National Park Guide and Maps. It also has some other great NW parks.

drm

Post by drm » May 23rd, 2017, 6:05 am

If you haven't been there I'd still suggest Enchanted Valley. Sure it can be crowded, but since it is essentially on the opposite side of the Olympics from Seattle, stuff on the other side isn't any less crowded. All of the valleys attract crowds and Enchanted Valley is larger than most so you can spread out more. If you really want to avoid crowds then you probably need to take one of the so-called primitive trails, or one of the ones with less maintenance. Or the Queets - for which the trail is on the opposite side of the river from the road, meaning that the first thing to do to hike the Queets Valley is to ford the Queets River.

North Fork Skykomish to Home Sweet Home is a nice destination. Home Sweet Home is a beautiful subalpine hanging Valley with huge peaks looming on the other side of the canyon. When I was there I was alone, but I think that was more luck than anything as it is not that hard to get to and there are only a few choice campsites.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2017, 6:25 am

Yeah, and the Enchanted Valley is more likely to have bears. Embrace the crowds of people. You should be able to find a campsite that's not on top of someone else, there are many spots.

DeepSpace000

Post by DeepSpace000 » May 23rd, 2017, 7:54 am

Thanks, these are all great suggestions I'm going to look into. I've heard crossing the river to the Queets trail can be a challenge depending on how the rivers flowing. Is it typically possible to cross this time of year?

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 23rd, 2017, 9:22 am

Maybe Elwa River? It gets into higher elevations eventually but should be melted off enough for at least a one night trip.

The beach hikes are popular but are pretty cool, worth checking out. Several options. Lake Ozette/Sand Point/Cape Alava triangle, Rialto Beach and northward, and Third Beach to Toleak Point or beyond are all nice.

I might suggest doing a pair of overnighters, one on the beach and one exploring one of the valleys. Good introduction to some of the variety Olympic NP offers.

drm

Post by drm » May 23rd, 2017, 3:17 pm

DeepSpace000 wrote:Thanks, these are all great suggestions I'm going to look into. I've heard crossing the river to the Queets trail can be a challenge depending on how the rivers flowing. Is it typically possible to cross this time of year?
I would assume not. Now should be close to peak flow. But I've never looked into it in enough detail to get a sense when it typically becomes crossable by those who are not olympic-caliber swimmers ( :lol: ). I think there is a flow guage there that you can look up.