Low elevation backpacks?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
lalahikesnw

Low elevation backpacks?

Post by lalahikesnw » May 22nd, 2017, 3:55 pm

My friend and I are looking for a 1 night trip the 1st weekend in June - trying to think of some overnights beyond the usual Salmon Creek, Opal Creek, etc. Considering Eagle Creek out to 7.5 mile camp but I need to check the status, the FS site has it clear to 4.5 miles.

Requirements: dog friendly, under 3 hour drive, easy to moderate. Am I reaching for the stars here?

We usually do high elevation, less people but alas, those won't melt out for a while :(

retired jerry

Re: Low elevation backpacks?

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2017, 5:23 pm

yes (reaching for stars) :)

about Eagle Creek that is - busy, not good for dogs

Herman Creek is only a bit further. Not so busy. There are a few waterfalls. I've seen dogs there. Casey Creek Camp is about 3 miles - a couple camp spots. Cedar Swamp - 6 miles - many camp spots. Other campsites.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 22nd, 2017, 7:05 pm

Unfortunately this year I think that the trail conditions in many places during first week of June will be more like the first week of May.

Check out this list: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ackpacking

drm

Post by drm » May 23rd, 2017, 6:13 am

Badger Creek from the east side (via Tygh Valley) would work. And it should be cleared of logs too.

Trapper Creek, north of Carson, should also work. Sort of like Salmon Creek, less people. Most campsites are small though, only a couple big enough for multiple tents. Snow should be melted a little way up but it has not been serviced yet so logs down, though I bet it will get cleared by the first weekend in June. Of course

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » May 23rd, 2017, 10:38 am

justpeachy wrote:Unfortunately this year I think that the trail conditions in many places during first week of June will be more like the first week of May.

Check out this list: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ackpacking

Agreed, happy for the snow and all that it brings - but sad for my backpacking day dreams.

Thanks for the list!

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » May 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am

retired jerry wrote:yes (reaching for stars) :)

about Eagle Creek that is - busy, not good for dogs

Herman Creek is only a bit further. Not so busy. There are a few waterfalls. I've seen dogs there. Casey Creek Camp is about 3 miles - a couple camp spots. Cedar Swamp - 6 miles - many camp spots. Other campsites.

I've actually not been though the Herman Creek area, thanks!

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » May 23rd, 2017, 10:40 am

drm wrote:Badger Creek from the east side (via Tygh Valley) would work. And it should be cleared of logs too.

Trapper Creek, north of Carson, should also work. Sort of like Salmon Creek, less people. Most campsites are small though, only a couple big enough for multiple tents. Snow should be melted a little way up but it has not been serviced yet so logs down, though I bet it will get cleared by the first weekend in June. Of course

Thanks for the suggestions!

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 24th, 2017, 12:25 pm

I was going to do the Rogue River trail, or at least a section of it, this weekend (but no longer am because of plan changes etc.). But it is low elevation, beautiful, plentiful backpacking camping spots on trail etc.