Forest Road access "backpacking"?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
KanonM

Forest Road access "backpacking"?

Post by KanonM » May 19th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Howdy,

We're still kind of new to the idea of driving down a Forest Road, unpacking to the side, and camping. I've actually yet to do it, but it's been recommended a time or two. I'm accustomed to camping on private property in the south (my family's and others), and not federal land.

That said, my wife and I are looking for some place to pitch a tent this weekend, and while we typically enjoy backpacking, she's pregnant and not up to it this time around.

Can anyone recommend a semi-secluded area where we can camp near-ish the Forest Road? I'm not looking for a specific mile marker on a specific road, just a general area, and any advice is welcome.

Thank you!

Kanon

pdxgene

Re: Forest Road access "backpacking"?

Post by pdxgene » May 19th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Another option could be a still closed campground..
Park at the gate, pack your stuff in and out. You'll have picnic tables and restrooms are generally left unlocked though obviously not stocked/cleaned. I'm reasonably sure that's ok as long as it's not a privately run one.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 20th, 2017, 10:58 am

I've seen people camp off of Lolo Pass road if the snow is cleared.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 20th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:I've seen people camp off of Lolo Pass road if the snow is cleared.
I see that all the time and cannot figure out why they just don't walk across the bridge to McNeil. It's more quiet, hell it's usually empty even when it's open...lol.. You have much better camping type infrastructure there.

KanonM

Post by KanonM » May 20th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Great tips, thanks!

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » May 20th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Outside of Estacada, highway 224 turns into FS46. Up around Fish Creek road there is camping, and at many more places along 46. There is also camping restrictions along there so watch for the signage. Not sure where the snow starts right now.
Kelly

drm

Post by drm » May 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm

The Wind River Road (FR 30) north of Carson has lots of options.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 21st, 2017, 9:50 pm

drm wrote:The Wind River Road (FR 30) north of Carson has lots of options.
...as does Panther Creek Road, which branches off from it.

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 24th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Good question--I've been on a hunt to find these kinds of camping situations myself for years, and found a few good places; the idea you have though, of finding a Forest Road etc. on Federal Land, and doing the "dispersed" style of camping is excellent (in my view!!). I hate, hate, hate formal campgrounds. The problem with dispersed camping, which you can know in your head ahead of time but perhaps it doesn't sink in at the heart level until the moment arises, is that there are no bathrooms.
Anyway: Basically, the best places I've found for this have come from just exploring. Find federal forest area on GoogleMaps, zoom in on some promising area, and see what you see re: forest roads and promising areas.
One needs to watch out for the snow and road conditions, though, esp. this time of year with a heavy snowfall; for example, the area which is my favorite for this kind of camping works if the road is in decent condition...which it isn't always. Especially if snow/erosion has gauged out huge holes in the road, etc. So it is hit or miss, and requires some flexibility. I just looked up the Lolo Rd. conditions (I'm presuming this is the Lolo Rd. in Hood National Forest?), and it seems to have been closed on April 25 due to snow--and there is no update saying it has re-opened? (https://tinyurl.com/ls9eagt) Maybe someone has been out there and can confirm/deny that this area is open?

BaseCampBronco

Post by BaseCampBronco » May 24th, 2017, 1:20 pm

I just looked up the Lolo Rd. conditions (I'm presuming this is the Lolo Rd. in Hood National Forest?), and it seems to have been closed on April 25 due to snow--and there is no update saying it has re-opened? ( https://tinyurl.com/ls9eagt ) Maybe someone has been out there and can confirm/deny that this area is open?
I went up Lolo Pass Road, up towards the Ramona Falls Trailhead last Sunday – not sure how far up that road you are looking to go, but as of last weekend it was open as far up as Road 1825, perhaps even further.

Depending on the region you are looking in, I have a pretty epic, little known car camping spot I love – it's just off a forest road, maybe twenty - thirty feet up an embankment. There is a fire ring, a beautiful lake full of huge crawdads, and if you hang a left as you approach the campsite, there is even a pit toilet with a box seat! If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll send you the GPS coordinates. It's not a place I like to advertise, because its very special to me and I don't want it overrun.