Eclipse viewing spot

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Tonydavid

Eclipse viewing spot

Post by Tonydavid » April 26th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Hi. Ok I have spent nearly all afternoon trying to find a reservable campsite in Oregon, Idaho, or Wyoming for the total eclipse on Monday August 21st. Everything is sold out. It is going to be a zoo with lots of traffic and craziness. I am from California and really want to see the eclipse (along with everybody else and their dog!). I love to backpack and can go 5-7 miles a day depending on the terrain. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go where their might be a place to camp and good spot to view the eclipse. Here is map of the path of the eclipse in Oregon. Thanks so much for your help. I really want to see it and experience it. I won't live to see another one. Thanks.
Attachments
TSE2017_Oregon.jpg
Here is map of path in Oregon. Being in the center of the path is important.

Aimless

Re: Eclipse viewing spot

Post by Aimless » April 26th, 2017, 9:16 pm

As you have noted, the woods will be unusually crowded. So will the backcountry. Your best bet is to arrive early in a national forest area east of the Cascades and look for a 'dispersed camping spot', without any of the usual campground services such as garbage service, water, vault toilet or tent pad. Whatever you do, please do not break out an axe and saw to clear yourself a spot. "Leave no trace" applies to dispersed camping, too. Once you have found a place to camp, you can scout out a nearby place to view the eclipse.

Tonydavid

Post by Tonydavid » April 27th, 2017, 5:39 am

Thanks "Aimless" and "Retired Jerry" for the replies. I was thinking dispersed camping east of Cascades…but I don't know the terrain. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to suggest a few areas or access roads. Maybe you could even private message me with some tips? I am into no impact camping and don't own an axe! Yes, " Retired Jerry" I had looked at the other tread and hoped for some additional advice. Thanks so much…Tony

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2017, 6:01 am

Criterion Tract. A bit north of 97/197 junction. You can hike west from the road and camp.

Mill Creek Wilderness. Start at Twin Pillars trailhead. Hike south on Twin Pillars trail about 4.5 miles to a stream. Then find a place to camp west of the trail.

drm

Post by drm » April 27th, 2017, 6:59 am

I live within an hour or so of the eclipse zone and have pretty much decided not to go camping. Not only will it be hard to find an uncrowded spot, but the total eclipse is brief - what if a single cloud comes by? That might not be a huge threat in mid-August, but it isn't an implausible one in the mountains either. By sticking with my car, I can go where the weather will be clear. Maybe I will head to some relatively remote spot in eastern Oregon and just spend the night by my car and a lonely road. If I really wanted to go backpacking, I might go to Wyoming.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2017, 11:31 am

You are going to need to research a place on your own, and not tell anyone about it. Every location known to human interaction on the internet will have people. Even the side roads will have people.

I do not remember the eclipse in circa 1978 having so much interest. Some people went to Stonehenge or the observatory near Goldendale, but it wasn't the media hysteria this one is generating. I suspect it is yet another of the evils generated by the Internet.

Tonydavid

Post by Tonydavid » April 29th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Thank you Aimless and Retired Jerry for the great suggestions. I really appreciate it.

chilge

Post by chilge » April 30th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Hi Tonydavid,

If you'd like to camp at a reservable campground, I'd encourage you to keep trying for a reservation! With dedicated refreshing, I was able to snag a site well inside the path of totality in Deschutes NF last week after someone cancelled their reservation. Of course, having a backup plan in case you can't find a reservation is wise, too.

Best of luck!

romann

Post by romann » May 1st, 2017, 10:12 pm

You can always camp on the side of a road in National forests, no reservations necessary. I expect most easily visible spots will be taken - arrive a day or two early?