Pole Creek Burn Area

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
subra1228

Pole Creek Burn Area

Post by subra1228 » April 25th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Hi,
Has anyone backpacked the trail around the Three Sisters since the Pole Creek fire (2012)? Any camping places in the non-fire areas, perhaps a bit to the west of the Green Lakes Trail?
Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Pole Creek Burn Area

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2017, 12:39 pm

There are signs posted with the area you can't camp in. Along the Green Lakes Trail. From about Park Meadow to Scott Trail. Actually a little less than that.

It seems like one of these years they're going to drop that. Many areas are recovering nicely and few have burned trees to fall over.

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » April 25th, 2017, 5:49 pm

About a year ago, I parked at the Broken Top trailhead, and hiked in, and did a decent chunk through the pole creek burn. I ended up camping by 3 creeks lake when I went because no one else wanted to hike the 5 miles up from where they gated off the road at the lower snowpark.

The whole area is lovely, as long as you aren't trying to camp directly in the burn you should be fine. Even in April, it was hot and dusty and uncomfortable in sections, but still an otherworldly experience.

Didn't make it to Green Lakes trail though unfortunately because up near the mountains the snowpack was bad enough I couldn't follow the trail.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » April 28th, 2017, 8:28 am

Glad this got posted. Planning on doing the loop in Aug and was wondering if this area was open to camping. Been trying to find sources. We have decided to come in at Lava and didn't really want to do a huge day on the first day. Might just shorten the day when we see the signs. Back track a little, camp and start fresh the next day

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 28th, 2017, 9:20 am

About 1/2 mile north of Alder Creek is where the zone starts. Nice flat areas to camp.

Alder Creek usually has water, but maybe not in September.

About 1/2 mile south of Alder Creek is a brief area outside of the zone. Nice flat areas to camp.

Then there's about 5 miles inside the zone

longstrides

Post by longstrides » April 28th, 2017, 11:06 am

Thanks Jerry