Palmer Mill Road question

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
lobs

Palmer Mill Road question

Post by lobs » April 24th, 2017, 8:40 am

Hello all...

I don't post much but am on the site all the time and really appreciate all the great reports and info.
So after a couple year hiatus from long distance trekking in the gorge I'm ready to head back to my old haunts this year. I really like to use the Palmer mill road from the highway up to the Larch mtn trail. Great elevation gain and a heck of a workout. Last time I was in there was 2 years ago and the road was incredibly brushy and overgrown a couple miles above the road barrier. It had been getting progressively worse each year after the washout up near the top.

Does anyone know if that section has been cleaned out or has nature continued to take it over?

Same question for the Bell Creek Trail if anyone knows.

Thanks for the info

pablo

Re: Palmer Mill Road question

Post by pablo » April 24th, 2017, 7:29 pm

lobs wrote:Hello all...

I don't post much but am on the site all the time and really appreciate all the great reports and info.
So after a couple year hiatus from long distance trekking in the gorge I'm ready to head back to my old haunts this year. I really like to use the Palmer mill road from the highway up to the Larch mtn trail. Great elevation gain and a heck of a workout. Last time I was in there was 2 years ago and the road was incredibly brushy and overgrown a couple miles above the road barrier. It had been getting progressively worse each year after the washout up near the top.

Does anyone know if that section has been cleaned out or has nature continued to take it over?

Same question for the Bell Creek Trail if anyone knows.

Thanks for the info
I did a bike ride last July down from Larch Mtn Rd and someone had done a considerable amount of maintenance on Palmer Mill, they even took what must have been a riding lawn mower down the road to cut tall grass and brush. A couple of Alders that had been across the road for years had been sawed out. That said, this winter was pretty rough elsewhere so I wouldn't be surprised if Palmer Mill Rd took a hit. The thing is, there are folks obviously interested in keeping the trail open through there so I expect it to be maintained going forward.

Dunno about Bell Creek but I'm sure it is in better shape than it was 5 years ago, thx mcds.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

pablo

Post by pablo » April 24th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Here is a short vid with conditions from last year. Note the cut alder branches on the tread from the maintenance that had been done just a short time before I went through there. Trail was pretty clear when I traveled it but after this winter I'm sure some damage was done.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 24th, 2017, 9:21 pm

As of a month ago most of the fallen branches and trees have been cut off Palmer Mill Road above the barrier. A lot of work has been done on the Bell Cr. trail too. It was in great shape mid-summer last year but I haven't been up there yet this year.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 25th, 2017, 6:42 am

Pablo, you mentioned doing a bike ride down from Larch? Care to share your route? I'd love to get out an explore that area on 2 wheels this spring/summer.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 2nd, 2017, 4:01 pm

As of last year it was generally fine up to about a half mile past Multnomah Basin Road, which was as far as I've ever gone. Lots of trees fell in the ice storms this winter, but as Don said, most of those have been cleared and those remaining aren't a real obstacle for hiking (but would require some stops when biking).

I wrote about what I saw in February and April:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 91#p190491
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 44#p191544
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 2nd, 2017, 8:34 pm

miah66 wrote:Pablo, you mentioned doing a bike ride down from Larch? Care to share your route? I'd love to get out an explore that area on 2 wheels this spring/summer.
I'm guessing he just meant that he down-rode Palmer Mill. After the washout near the quarry it goes down to a single track, and is should be rideable for the most part.

lobs

Post by lobs » May 3rd, 2017, 9:19 am

thanks for all the info guys! looks like the road is good to go....

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 15th, 2017, 3:54 pm

I walked the section from Multnomah Basin Road to Larch Mountain Road today. It was totally clear, and lovely. I hadn't seen that section before.

I like the idea of biking this. I don't have a mountain bike, but I'm thinking about fitting some heavier tires onto my spare road bike and trying it this summer.

BTW, Larch Mountain Road is currently closed right at the junction with Palmer Mill Road, but open below that ... so it's possible to access either end by car.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 12th, 2017, 10:40 am

I went out and did a ride from Larch Mt to Latourell falls using trails, gravel and paved roads. A 19 mile jaunt! What a blast that section of Palmer Mill is! Absolutely incredible and fast. Smiling ear to ear for over 2 miles, descending at about 20+ mph on a narrow ribbon of dirt through the ferns! :mrgreen: If you have a bike, do this. If you don't, then get one! You need a shuttle, so if you want to do it, let me know and I'll be the other vehicle!

https://caltopo.com/m/30UE
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider