Dog friendly hikes.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
dohman

Dog friendly hikes.

Post by dohman » April 15th, 2017, 6:34 am

I have been trying to stick to the more rural hikes with the pup. He is extremely friendly and well behaved, but he loves nothing more than charging around in the underbrush without a leash.

We have been sticking to less popular hikes so he can enjoy his off leash time, around Molalla and Estacada.

Any suggestions for where we can go and not run into people that will be upset by a friendly dog running around?

Thinking about Clackamas river trail today, but it is pretty narrow which makes passing with a friendly inquisitive pup a little more difficult.

BigBear

Re: Dog friendly hikes.

Post by BigBear » April 18th, 2017, 8:59 am

Tough topic to get a reply, isn't it? Part of the problem, I suspect, is the off-leash stipulation as to what is "dog friendly."

Let's look at it form the opposite direction:

Level 1: No dogs on the trail at all. National parks, national monuments, national wildlife refuges, and nature parks. These are areas set aside for the wildlife, not people and their pets. Don't feel singled out because bicycles and joggers are prohibited from some of these areas too. Remember, it's about the wildlife and antiquities, not recreation.

Level 2: Dogs must be on leashes. These are the heavy used areas where not everyone has the free-will they wish they had. Dog Mountain (ironically), Eagle Creek, Silver Creek, Catherine Creek and Forest Park come to mind. Probably a good rule of thumb is: if the trailhead is packed, your dog must be on a leash.

Level 3: Dangerous trails. These would be the places where you are likely to lose your pet even though there is no leash law. Eagle Creek, had it not alreayd had a leash law, would come to mind. Personally, I wouldn't take a family pet on the Eagle Creek trail under any circumstances. This list is rather subjective and would require research for one's comfort level.

Level 4: Dog-Off-Leash Friendly. So, what's left. Obscure trails and gated logging roads come to mind. If I had a dog and wanted him to run free (hoping he'd come back when I called and not chase squirrels for 4 days), I'd pick open meadows or wide roads. There are several thousand miles of such roads in MHNF.

dohman

Post by dohman » April 19th, 2017, 7:59 am

I figured it would be, but I doubt I am the only one around that let's their dog off leash. He stays nearby and doesn't harass anything. He just enjoys all the smelly smells of the woods! Is it wrong to let him go off leash? Maybe? I dunno.

Gated roads have been our friend. And there are a few areas that are unpopulated enough, or on BLM land. The latter I am not sure of the rules. The few authority figures I have bumped into didn't seem to mind at all. Not that I specifically asked.

Thanks for the response though!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 19th, 2017, 8:59 am

I had to chuckle at your "they didn't seem to mind at all" reference. I remember back to my wilderness steward training in the late 1990s. USFS wanted all of us volunteers to enforce the leash law for dogs on ALL wilderness trails. The two head rangers admitted that no matter how good a conversation was going, as soon as they changed the topic to "dog on leash" the whole thing blew up into an argument. Noting their desire to have us enter the same minefield, I asked if this was a posted rule, to which they qualified their response to "not all trails." I firmly said that I would not be mentioning a dog on leash rule to anyone unless it was posted.

In short, they mind, they just can't always enforce or simply do not wish to enter into that conversation. Perhaps it's because so many people ignore the posted rules that they have to put all of their energy into those trails first.

I know how much a dog loves to run, smell and chase. It's just too bad the trails are so crowded.

dohman

Post by dohman » April 19th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Avoiding confrontation makes total sense, I didn't even think of that.

So out of curiosity, why would they want to enforce it on all trails? A poop issue?

DrewskiTwoski

Post by DrewskiTwoski » April 20th, 2017, 9:56 am

I'm planning to hike the Timberline trail this summer for the first time with a friend. I'm trying to decide if I should bring my dog on the trip or leave her home.

Has anyone done the TT with a dog? If so, are the stream crossings dangerous for dogs? Is there anything else I should know about dogs on the TT?
She is a strong swimmer and hiker and is instantly best friends with all the people she meets.

Thanks!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 20th, 2017, 10:58 am

You are obliged to pick up your dog's waste. Are you really planning to carry that all the way around the Timberline Trail?

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 20th, 2017, 1:43 pm

dohman: Re. why would they enforce the dog leash issue on all trails

In the 1990s, USFS was taking a strict interpretation of the "solitude" concept of a wilderness. This was the time when hiking/equestrian groups were limited to 12 heartbeats (people, horses & dogs, combined) and MHNF attempted to institute an hour of separation between all groups. Public comments on the hour separation were 96% opposed and USFS withdrew the issue, knowing enforcement would be impossible. Since that time, the trails have become much more crowded. This was also the beginning of limited campsites in high impact areas, and reducing sites in meadows and along lake shores.

Enforcement of these new concepts was difficult, even thru friendly suggestion.

The issue with dogs on a leash was probably a combination of reducing impact to other users, startling horses, chasing squirrels and damaging ground nests. The concept of bagging your doggie poop had not come about yet. In fact, blue bags for climbers was just in its infancy.

Personally, I didn't mind a confrontation with another hiker/camper as long as the violation was of a clearly posted rule. I'm still that way, even as John Q. Public. We live in a society that has too much interpersonal contact not to abide by rules. Exercising one's liberty inhibits another person from exercising theirs.

However (and this is a big however), I will not enforce/inflict a "feels good" idea on someone else because (1) the concept has not risen to the level of an agreed-upon rule of conduct (law), (2) without being a "law" it has no stated consequence (so what's to enforce), (3) it is too difficult to reach an accord if the other person does not agree with the concept's validity, and (4) there are too many posted rules being ignored and need to be enforced first.

I don't go looking for trouble, but I don't want to have it looking for me either.

So, have fun on your Timberline Trail backpack. There are several creek crossings you and your dog may find challenging: Sandy, Muddy Fork, Coe, Ladd, Newton, and White River. Personally, I'd just bury your dog's poop with your own and call it good.

And, remember the booties for your dog. That hot sand is hard on their pads.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 20th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Even though I'm mildly (very mildly) anti-dog, I don't mind running into off-leash dogs in moderation. I hate places like Sandy Delta where the dogs are absolutely oppressive, but if I run into the occasional dog on a wilderness trail I don't mind. This doesn't really address your question, but hey, topic drift happens.

Funny story: I once had a dog run up and chew on my left arm, then my right arm, then a leg, as the dog's owner/guardian/whatever meekly protested "mitsy, no, stop", as she held the leash that wasn't attached to mitsy. If I wanted to be a dick, I'd say "dammit lady, do something, get your dog under control"...but I actually thought it was 80% amusing, 20% annoying.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 20th, 2017, 10:22 pm

DrewskiTwoski wrote:[A]re the stream crossings dangerous for dogs?
I don't know anything about dogs, but the stream crossings are very, very dependent on time of year: in July, they can be apocalyptic, whereas in October they can be simple hop-overs.

In general, I'm sort of conflicted about the whole thing. As a personal matter, I strongly dislike seeing dogs on trail, especially as so many of them are not nearly as friendly or mannered as their owners always feel compelled to say they are. ("He's usually...") But at the same time, I feel for the dogs, who I totally want to be able to have a good time outside.

So I guess staying to lesser-used trails, where you're less likely to run into grumpy gusses (read: me), is the best idea. What immediately came to mind was Road 777 (the old road to the Tanner Ridge TH) in the gorge: wide open, not very widely visited, and far enough outside of the Wilderness boundary that even I couldn't get mad about it :)