Bear Lake hike

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
weeks0319

Bear Lake hike

Post by weeks0319 » April 9th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I know this is a stretch, but is bear lake area near upper mount defiance trail head doable late this month. we are looking for a lake to hike into that is close to portland.

drm

Re: Bear Lake hike

Post by drm » April 10th, 2017, 7:03 am

Yes, a stretch. Maybe Gillette Lake over near Table Mountain, on the PCT.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 11th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Yeah, snow levels show about 4 feet of snow near Bear. Not recommended. drm's rec of Gillette is a good option.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm

FYI, as I came down off Table two Fridays ago (3/31), there were at least six or seven groups that had either just set up camp or were heading in along the PCT in that (Gillette Lake) general vicinity. It was nearly dark when I crossed trails with the last stragglers, who wondered if there were any sites left and I couldn't be very encouraging.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » April 12th, 2017, 6:03 am

I guess if you hike in in the rain on a Wednesday, you can have it to yourself. :roll:

Really, all of us backpackers are struggling to find snowfree places to camp this spring. After recent years, we got used to the snow melting off early. Not this year. Not only did the lowlands get a lot of snow this winter, it has been a chilly spring, so it's not melting off very fast.

I think I'm going to give up and strap my skis (or snowshoes) on with my backpack when the next sunny patch of days appears.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 13th, 2017, 8:38 pm

kepPNW wrote:FYI, as I came down off Table two Fridays ago (3/31), there were at least six or seven groups that had either just set up camp or were heading in along the PCT in that (Gillette Lake) general vicinity. It was nearly dark when I crossed trails with the last stragglers, who wondered if there were any sites left and I couldn't be very encouraging.
Oye. Nothing like camping with 100 of your closest friends :/.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown