Grouse Vista?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DannyH

Grouse Vista?

Post by DannyH » March 25th, 2017, 9:53 am

Has anyone tried to get to the Grouse Vista Trailhead? I'm wondering if it is doable in my passenger car, or if I can get to within a mile of it.

Thanks
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

K.Wagner

Re: Grouse Vista?

Post by K.Wagner » April 6th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Danny,

I have not specifically tried to get up to that TH yet this year. It is at 2,375 feet elevation. Last Sat (4/1/17) I was up at the Marble Mtn-Sno Park. At the turn to Ape Cave (1,900 feet elevation), the snow was about 1 foot deep. At the Sno-Park (about 2,600 ft elevation), it was still 3 to 4 feet deep. So unless the road has been plowed (very doubtful), my guess is that it is not open yet.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 6th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I happen to have been driving in the area of the Grouse Vista trailhead this evening (Thursday) and I will venture that there is a high probability that the trailhead is reachable.

I drove to the top of the hill at 45.7457, -122.2710 elevation 3091ft, (incorrectly marked as Sturgeon Rock on the USGS topo) by way of L-1000 and L-1200A, and crossed no snow at any point. There was snow visible on the northeast side of the hill to the southwest (BM 2697 on the topo) and along the ridge of Silver Star. Since the road to Grouse Vista TH from the south is on the south side of the hills I expect it to be entirely clear except perhaps for the small creek crossing at 45.722, -122.248.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » April 7th, 2017, 12:12 pm

When I was driving home yesterday, (heading north up I-205), I was a little surprised to actually see the majority of Larch Mtn bare. I keep forgetting how much of a mountain effect there is all around St Helens. I would agree that the road probably is bare.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

DannyH

Post by DannyH » April 7th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the information guys. I may venture that way this Sunday.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."