3-day hiking/backpacking suggestions mid-April near Portland

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mapnerd

3-day hiking/backpacking suggestions mid-April near Portland

Post by mapnerd » March 25th, 2017, 9:42 am

My teenage daughter and I are visiting Portland from April 13-16. It sounds like you've had a lot of snow this year and are in the midst of a wet Spring. Understanding those conditions, are there any options for a 2-3 day hiking/backpacking or camping trip within a few hours drive? We are intermediate level hikers looking for something like 7-10 miles per day with something under a couple thousand feet of elevation gain. I want to show my daughter how beautiful the area is, so scenery and lack of crowds are my top priorities. I know, tall order. Thanks in advance for your advice.

drm

Re: 3-day hiking/backpacking suggestions mid-April near Port

Post by drm » March 25th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Herman Crk might be a good recommendation, try to get to Cedar Swamp. I haven't been that far in this year so I can't guarantee it (though it's possible I might go before your trip). And there are places to camp before that if you run into obstacles. Alt gain is gradual. Crowds aren't that bad in April, especially if you can head up Friday. If it's really sunny it could be crowded and the parking area fills up on nice weekends.

Deschutes River is a fallback if the weather isn't so good as it's drier out there.

BigBear

Re: 3-day hiking/backpacking suggestions mid-April near Port

Post by BigBear » March 30th, 2017, 12:06 pm

It's a tough year for hiking and backpacking due to the snow (freezing level is 3500 feet today) and the heavy rain. In the Gorge, there are patches of snow along the Columbia River Hwy (140 elev), lots of tree blowdown and mudslides. Not painting a very good picture, am I? This is a La Nina year.

In a normal year, Timothy Lake (elev. 3200) is full of mosquitoes and the snow often lingers on the trails at higher elevations into late June. This year, much later unless the mercury gets to normal and beyond.

I would agree that Deschutes River Trail is a good option this year. You could look into reservations on the Olympic Coast trail in Washington, but the creek crossings will be challenging this year.