Good hike for Sunday?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Matuas

Good hike for Sunday?

Post by Matuas » March 16th, 2017, 10:20 am

Hey folks. I'm new to Portland and am looking to finally get out on a good medium-difficulty hike this weekend (since Sunday is looking fairly not-rainy). Are there any hikes that may not be super muddy or snowy? Or is it just too early in the season?

We've got a dog as well, so anything dog-friendly is a plus.

Thanks for the help!

kelkev

Re: Good hike for Sunday?

Post by kelkev » March 16th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Except for the dog, Silver Falls State Park east of Salem is always a good choice this time of year (no dogs on the canyon waterfall trail). I was just there today, several muddy spots but nothing unmanageable with hiking boots (preferably waterproof). The waterfalls are a raging torrent right now. Probably will be busy on Sunday, but it's a great spring hike if you don't mind the puddles here and there and negotiating a few muddy spots.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 16th, 2017, 9:11 pm

A go-to Sunday hike for me is Dry Creek Falls, since it's one of the few easily accessible gorge trails you can do on the weekend with easy parking and not full of people-- once you're past the actual falls. More specifically, I normally skip Dry Creek Falls itself and go out and back from Cascade Locks trailhead to Herman Creek bridge.

I was last there I think two weeks ago, and though there was still some snow then it wasn't any problem--some brief patches of deeper stuff, but mostly firm or trampled down or just bare trail. Might even be gone by now. No mud, but there was a somewhat annoying amount of blowdown. That probably would have been a lot less annoying if I hadn't been on a time crunch, and had remembered to eat my snack (hangry). I went out just past Herman Creek Pinnacles to Pacific Crest Falls, which was flowing strong. Totting up from the log in the field guide it looks like that's an 8 mile round trip. In the conditions that took me at least as long as my normal full summer hike and probably upped it to moderate difficulty. Did make it more interesting, though.

Full disclosure, a big reason this trail is not normally crowded is people seem to think it's a bit boring. Plus you do get some highway noise. I enjoy just being in the trees, and anything that other people prefer to stay away from is a draw. YMMV.

drm

Post by drm » March 17th, 2017, 7:12 am

Check out the reports on the Trip Reports section for hikes in the eastern Gorge. Deschutes River, Cklickitat River and the collection of trails between Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek are all snow-free and not to muddy. You've got to expect occasional flowing water and mud but those trails are pretty rocky, so it is just an occasional spot or two. And the water has dropped enough on the latter that you should be able to avoid wet-feet crossings. But Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall will be packed on Sunday.