Three Sisters Loop in Aug

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
longstrides

Three Sisters Loop in Aug

Post by longstrides » March 5th, 2017, 7:45 pm

planning our trip now. Have the Green Trail maps. Just wondering from those who have done it, how is the signage and trail markers? Looking forward to the trip and want to get as much info as possible while planning. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

retired jerry

Re: Three Sisters Loop in Aug

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2017, 8:37 pm

The signage/trail markers are excellent

Where are you starting?

This year, beginning of August may still have a lot of snow

longstrides

Post by longstrides » March 5th, 2017, 8:53 pm

was thinking Obsidian. Still need to see about the permits (still trying to learn if we need some for when we start and then when we finish) Trip hopefully will be third week in Aug, at least that's when vacation time is scheduled. Plan on going clockwise, heading south on the PCT and then working around. Yes we have worried about the abundant snowfall we received this year everywhere lol.

How are the water sources from the Obsidian start down to Mirror lakes?

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » March 6th, 2017, 6:19 am

I haven't done the 'loop' but I've hiked to Middle Sister from Obsidian, and I've hiked a Separation Creek loop that took me by the Mirror Lakes, and camped near North in 2014.

My memory of the water situation is that there is pretty good options there. Theres a couple miles on Wickiup Plain where there isn't anything, but south you have the Lakes, and north, you have melt water pretty much year round coming off the glaciers on Middle. I'll try to remember more information today.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2017, 6:25 am

check field guide - click "field guide" at upper left, then "central oregon", then "trail around three sisters"

it's kind of weird around there, the volcanic soil absorbs water so drinking water is a little hard to find at places

I usually start at McKenzie Pass, Lava Lake trailhead - no permits, slightly shorter distance

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 6th, 2017, 10:16 pm

You would need a permit for Obsidian: both for the day you come in, and the day you go out. Maybe better to start near McKenzie Pass (shortest hike before reaching the proper loop) or, if you're wedded to the west side, up the Scott Trail, which won't require you to get a special, limited permit.

Incidentally, most of the joys of the Obsidian region - the falls, cliffs, etc - are all on the main trail, so no need to start there just to see them :)

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » March 7th, 2017, 8:08 pm

I second everyone else. Obsidian trail is 4 miles of boring. The trail from Lava Camp Lake is more scenic, no permit and only three miles. We did the east side first, which is what I would definitely do again, get the most boring, hot, and dusty part of the loop, between Mathau Lakes and Park Meadow out of the way. That leaves the climatic scenery for the end. But its up to you. There are some nice flower gardens on the Obsidian trail below the PCT you see on your way from Obsidian Trailhead.
That's nice there is a green trails map now. When I did the loop a couple years ago I used a 1960s era one!
The Three Sisters Loop is the best backpacking trip. I enjoyed it more than the Wonderland Trail this last summer. Better weather, less hassle with permits and campsites, not as steep trail, and more continuous scenery. You don't have to duck into into the woods for miles on end between fabulous alpine scenery.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2017, 7:38 am

well said

(although I haven't done Wonderland)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 8th, 2017, 9:44 am

I've done most of the loop as day hikes and a few out-and-back backpacks. Finding water is not the issue...avoiding mosquitoes is.

The dry sections of PCT are Warm Springs (Timothy Lake to Olallie Lakes), Summit Lake (Cowhorn Mtn) to Thielsen Creek and then all the way to Seven Lakes Basin (Sky Lakes), and most of the trail south of Sky Lakes into California (there are reservoirs and springs, but the not the luxury of lake basins, so you have to plan your water refills). Three Sisters involves little planning to find water.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2017, 9:49 am

Especially later in the summer, there are long stretches without drinking water - it's all below the surface where you can't get at it. Good to look at the field guide and plan your stops a bit.

Mount Hood - there are frequent streams even late in the summer so less of an issue. The east side can be a problem though - same thing as Sisters, porous soil which hides the water