Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jack65

Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike.

Post by jack65 » February 21st, 2017, 5:58 pm

My wife & I plan to do the Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike this mid-August. Day trip only. Hope the blooms are still going then. We would like info like how hard this hike is and how far up the trail do I start seeing wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake etc. If there is another day trip hikes in area that will give me the views I'm after (wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake) that is easier or shorter than the Divide Camp trail, let me know as well. Keep in mind I had hip replacement 3 years ago and I'm 64, so I don't move as fast or as well as I use to so time is running out for me on these type of hikes. Last August, I did the local Takh Takh Meadows Trail, Chain of Lakes trail and hiked around Takhlakh Lake without problems, but those didn't require much climbing. I will be packing my Nikon D500 with the Nikkor 200-500mm & 18-105mm lens too. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into. My wife is in great shape and younger. I'm currently doing conditioning and weight training for strength & endurance at the local fitness center and have six months to get ready. This is trail in question:

Here is my Mt Adams & Takhlakh Lake story from last year... lots of pics:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAda ... khLake.htm

A few pics: (whole bunch more on website with story)

Last edited by jack65 on February 21st, 2017, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #12 day hike.

Post by retired jerry » February 21st, 2017, 7:19 pm

I did that a couple years ago - Divide Camp trail

You drive past Takhlakh lake on road 2329 about 2 miles. Gravel but not too bad.

It's 3 miles and maybe 1300 feet up to the PCT on the Divide Camp trail. That trail is pretty good. Mot as many people as the Killen Creek trail nearby.

wild flowers and wildlife? It just depends. As I remember there were meadowy areas along the trail.

drm

Re: Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #12 day hike.

Post by drm » February 21st, 2017, 9:17 pm

You might consider the Muddy Meadows trail a bit father east as it has fantastic views right from the bottom, whereas most Mt Adams access trails require going up a ways for good views. It's also generally in a bit better condition. Divide Camp trail has some deep ruts, my guess from decades of horse traffic. Shouldn't be muddy at all by August.

By mid-August the best flowers will be fairly high up, but that also is often near peak mosquito time up there. The two sometimes go together. We have a heavier snowpack this year than last so don't expect conditions to be the same this summer as they were last.

Note that there was road damage last year that prevented accessing Muddy Meadows from Taklakh, so check on road conditions before making plans this year. Who knows what additional road damage we will find when things open up. If you do end up going up Divide Camp Trail, I don't things open up much till you get to the junction to the camp. Be prepared for some short/steep/eroded sections.

oldandslow

Re: Some info on Mt Adams Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike.

Post by oldandslow » March 4th, 2017, 1:55 pm

The Muddy Meadows Trail as an alternative is a genius idea. My son and I hiked up the Killen Creek Trail last August. Since I had last been there many years ago, large log steps had been installed on the steep parts of the trail. Going up was not great but coming back down was really difficult for this old hiker. In between the hiking up and down we were treated to a wonderful alpine landscape with lots of flowers--below about 6,000 feet the flowers were mostly limited to relatively steep north facing slopes--and great views of Adams, Rainier and The Goat Rocks. There were countless outstanding photo opportunities.
Anyway, thanks for the tip. If I am still upright, I'll try the Muddy Meadows trail next August.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 4th, 2017, 2:50 pm

You can go up the trail to the South, the Divide Trail

Much less crowded, nice trail.

But then you have to cross Adams Glacier Creek which can be difficult

jack65

Post by jack65 » August 29th, 2017, 12:40 pm

jack65 wrote:My wife & I plan to do the Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike this mid-August. Day trip only. Hope the blooms are still going then. We would like info like how hard this hike is and how far up the trail do I start seeing wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake etc. If there is another day trip hikes in area that will give me the views I'm after (wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake) that is easier or shorter than the Divide Camp trail, let me know as well. Keep in mind I had hip replacement 3 years ago and I'm 64, so I don't move as fast or as well as I use to so time is running out for me on these type of hikes. Last August, I did the local Takh Takh Meadows Trail, Chain of Lakes trail and hiked around Takhlakh Lake without problems, but those didn't require much climbing. I will be packing my Nikon D500 with the Nikkor 200-500mm & 18-105mm lens too. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into. My wife is in great shape and younger. I'm currently doing conditioning and weight training for strength & endurance at the local fitness center and have six months to get ready.
Well, our planned hike, Divide Camp Trail #112 was closed this year due to some trail damage, a washed out bridge crossing a creek... so we did the Council Bluff trail instead. That was a very nice hike with fantastic views of mountain peaks once we reached the top. We had a wonderful week camping at Takhlakh Lake. Here is my photo blog website on that:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAda ... e-2017.htm

I've read where we were suppose to see Mt St Helens up there, but it was nowhere in sight??? We did see Mt Rainier, Mt Hood & of course majestic Mt Adams. The views were to die for!

Not too many blooms though.