Munra Point Conditions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pgxmas

Munra Point Conditions?

Post by pgxmas » February 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Hello trail friends,

Is anyone able to provide some guidance regarding current conditions hiking up Munra? I expect snow, though I'm wondering at what point in the hike to expect it (after clearing the first steep hilly/forested section, maybe 1.5-2 miles in?) and if we should expect ice to be layered on top of the snow. I've hiked up it before in the winter with just boots, no spikes or anything, though I could understand why they could be needed if conditions were different.

Thanks in advance for any info and happy trails!

Chip Down

Re: Munra Point Conditions?

Post by Chip Down » February 21st, 2017, 8:13 pm

I've wanted to do Munra as a snow climb. A couple weekends ago I was considering it. Decided if parking was good I'd take a stab at it. Parking wasn't good (my preferred spot right along I-84 was still under snow). Thought about going back for a more determined attempt last weekend, tolerating the trail hiking on 400, but it was pretty damp, and I don't think that's a great rainy-day hike, so I went elsewhere. Bah, I probably won't bother. My obsessions tend to be short lived ("oh, look, a butterfly..." :lol: ). Interesting how much variation we're seeing in snow conditions. Could be bare ground, or postholing, or treacherous unstable ice heaps, or a little of everything, alternating all the way up. :?

Bosterson

Re: Munra Point Conditions?

Post by Bosterson » February 22nd, 2017, 12:09 pm

pgxmas wrote: ...if we should expect ice to be layered on top of the snow. I've hiked up it before in the winter with just boots, no spikes or anything
I haven't been to Munra recently, but judging by the snow elsewhere, it is likely refrozen and/or compacted, and the snow level at that elevation is much higher this year than previously. On Table Mtn a few weeks ago, the trail bench was invisible (snowed over) above the PCT junction, and I needed the ice axe I brought, and wished I'd brought crampons rather than spikes...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased