New to backpacking, where do we go close to PDX

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
LaKen

New to backpacking, where do we go close to PDX

Post by LaKen » February 18th, 2017, 8:20 am

Excited to get started, but totally in the dark as to where to go. Want to stay close to Portland 1st few hikes. Gorge area? Would like to hike 5-10 miles camp, continue on if conditions are good and we are not totally scared ! OR return to car. Im thinking starting at Bridal Veil head toward Tr.# 425 Horsetail, maybe onto #430. Going April 28,2017
Would appreciate any advise and/or a guide to go with us.

retired jerry

Re: New to backpacking, where do we go close to PDX

Post by retired jerry » February 18th, 2017, 8:39 am

That trailhead is more likely to get breakins

I like to park at Eagle Creek trailhead (next to hatchery which is safer?) and go up Eagle Creek, Tanner Butte, or Ruckel Creek. Lots of good 5-10 mile camp locations.

Or Herman Creek trailhead (which is more prone to break-ins) and go up Herman Creek, PCT, Gorton Creek,... also lots of camp locations at 5 - 10 miles.

Lots of snow now, wait a couple months, keep looking at trip reports.

LaKen

Post by LaKen » February 19th, 2017, 11:48 am

Oh Thank you so much for the break in warning, that would really ruin my day. Will differently take your advise on Eagle Creek parking.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 19th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Backpacking in spring is hard since so many trails are still under snow. But there are still options! Check out this list of spring backpacking destinations: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ackpacking

BigBear

Post by BigBear » February 21st, 2017, 12:08 pm

The Gorge may not be your best bet for backpacking this spring (see trip reports section of this website). You may have to wait a few months, even day hikes at this time are at a premium.

LaKen

Post by LaKen » February 22nd, 2017, 6:32 pm

Would any of you suggest the coast and if so where? Or do you have any favorites?

phijef

Post by phijef » April 9th, 2017, 4:11 am

One of my first backpacking trips was to Big Slide Lake in the Bull of the Woods. It's 6 miles to get to the lake. Not a lot of people go there. The elevation is ~4k ft, so by the end of April you should have no problems. Good luck!

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Lake_Hike

TodF

Post by TodF » April 10th, 2017, 8:42 am

LaKen wrote:Excited to get started, but totally in the dark as to where to go. Want to stay close to Portland 1st few hikes. Gorge area? Would like to hike 5-10 miles camp, continue on if conditions are good and we are not totally scared ! OR return to car. Im thinking starting at Bridal Veil head toward Tr.# 425 Horsetail, maybe onto #430. Going April 28,2017
Would appreciate any advise and/or a guide to go with us.
It would be easier to offer suggestions if you can say a little more about yourselves. Like what is your experience level for camping, what kind of camping you are used to, if you have camped/backpacked in other places, what kind of gear you have, how fit you are, etc.

A lot of 5-10 mile backpacking hikes in the area will involve fair amount of elevation gain, so if you are fit and carrying lightweight gear you have a lot more options than if you are not fit and carrying a 45 lb pack.

If you are happy camping in places with lots of tree cover, Salmon River up by Welches on Mt. Hood has some decent campsites with varying distance from the TH and varying elevation gain. http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... River_Hike

A nice forested place with much less climbing is Siouxon Creek in Washington. http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... Creek_Hike
I don't know how the road to Siouxon Creek is now.

Neither spot is going to be people-free, especially Salmon River. You can find places to camp away from the trail on Siouxon, less so on Salmon River.

Personally, I think that spring is a great time for snow camping on Mt. Hood. The temperatures are milder than winter and you can get places like Elk Cove with amazing views mostly to yourself. I hammock camp, so I don't have to deal with issues of sleeping on the snow.

TodF

Post by TodF » April 10th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Also, if you are feeling nervous about backpacking, REI has some free intro classes on 4/19. The second one is backpacking for women, and it says it's full, but it gives you an idea of the classes they have.

https://www.rei.com/events/backpacking- ... ard/169586

https://www.rei.com/events/womens-backp ... and/169624

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 20th, 2017, 10:36 pm

It's true that a lot of the nicest spots in the Gorge - Tanner Ridge, the peaks along Waucoma Ridge, etc - will be under snow for a while, but there's still a bunch of nice, lower-elevation options (snow level this weekend was around 2500'). From west to east, there are good campsites: just east of Angel's Rest, at a reasonably reliable stream on Trail 420 (though be careful about parking there overnight...); at Wahkeena Springs, only a couple miles from the Wahkeena TH; on the Larch Mountain Trail, just a bit after the Franklin Ridge junction; up Oneonta Creek, right after the upper crossing; half a million on Eagle Creek after High Bridge; a few on Herman Creek, though I've heard there's tons of blow down...

I guess, if it were me, I might go for Eagle Creek: you'll definitely have company, but it's just absolutely beautiful, and there are so so many campsites that, even if it's crowded, you'll still probably have options :)