Mt. Defiance Status?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Levi

Mt. Defiance Status?

Post by Levi » February 1st, 2017, 3:49 pm

So, I drove out there last Thursday and there was a few tracks. It looked like the person I was following couldn't find the trail and neither could I. I've been up there in the winter before but there wasn't snow from the parking lot. So, I walked around for a bit and drove home. Has anyone been up there this weekend? Is there an established boot path? I know the route is marked for winter but I also couldn't locate any of the markers. Looking to head up there again soon and don't want to find myself in the same position as last time.

Don Nelsen

Re: Mt. Defiance Status?

Post by Don Nelsen » February 1st, 2017, 5:36 pm

Levi wrote:So, I drove out there last Thursday and there was a few tracks. It looked like the person I was following couldn't find the trail and neither could I. I've been up there in the winter before but there wasn't snow from the parking lot. So, I walked around for a bit and drove home. Has anyone been up there this weekend? Is there an established boot path? I know the route is marked for winter but I also couldn't locate any of the markers. Looking to head up there again soon and don't want to find myself in the same position as last time.
I was there Sunday but only hiked as far as Hole-in-the-Wall Falls. There were tracks from perhaps a few dozen hikers past that point heading up the hill. Only one set of tracks, maybe two (or the same person coming back) went up the Starvation trail, though. No way to tell, of course, how far anyone had gotten.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Levi

Re: Mt. Defiance Status?

Post by Levi » February 1st, 2017, 6:22 pm

I appreciate the information. There was a few tracks when I was out there as well. Guess I'll have to head back and hope my luck turns out a little better this time!